A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Scanner problem that I can NEVER find the solution to.

Spike

Okay, I have this problem with my scanner. 99.9% of the time I try to use it, it says:

"The function you have requested cannot be performed because another program already has control of the device. If the program currently using the device, save any unsaved work, close the program, and try again."

Yes, that is the actual error, complete with the bolded sentence that does not make sense.

I can almost never scan because of this. The only thing I can find to do is reset the computer a million times until it just works, which can take a few hours. I have been googling this for an hour and looking through manuals. I can find NOTHING to help. Asking here is my last resort. Anyone know what I can do? I close out of every program that could possibly be controlling it, by the way. I don't think that is the actual problem.

I tried that, I said I tried googling it. The only solutions I found with that were for some other OS or just suggested calling tech support.

I got desperate this morning and spent 45 minutes messing with settings. Drivers, programs, everything. Eventually, I did something that solved the problem. In control panel, under Scanners and Cameras, the advanced setting called for that scanner to only work with Photoshop. Even though I did always scan with photoshop, that was messing it up for some reason. I just unchecked photoshop and now it works fine. Wish I thought of that before I posted this topic, oh well.