A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Advanced Saving/Loading for MMFX

LarkSS

I see. I thought you had to use the platform object's condition. Heh, oh well, it's still kind of interesting what I ended up doing. *shrugs*

Are you having trouble understanding what the heck I did with that platform object? Because I could comment that part if you want.

Thanks a lot man! =) The only things I fixed was one grammer mistake and that you forgot to credit yourself. I added 3 more levels and reuploaded it to the same link. For those of you who don't know what link it is:

http://www.freewebs.com/sonic_softdatabase1/Save&LoadMMF.zip

Man, I'd give you some rep, but it won't let me since I already did before and I need to give some rep to someone else first.

Edit: ( June 4 2006 9:55 AM )

I finally got to commenting my platform/static engine and added little comments and suggestions throughout the events. You can tell who commented by the comment box's background color.

Black = JJames19119

White = LarkSS

Once again, I reuploaded it to the same link. ( Above )

You know what I just noticed?

Loading a level, then loading another makes the newly loaded level "overlap" with the old one. :P The previous level you loaded is never deleted off the memory so you "merge" the levels. lol.

Heh, I love your commenting. Thanks for commenting on my comments too. :P I see I did miss a thing or two. Thanks for pointing those out. I specifically made all my comment boxes black so it was easy to tell that I made the comment there. But in any case, it was quite fun documenting the whole thing and learning it's internals. Sorry I didn't comment much on your static engine, it was just a tad confusing. I've dealt with static engines plenty of times but the one you made was...unique. XD

I've dealt with static engines plenty of times but the one you made was...unique. XD

Lol, yes it is. =D

You know what I just noticed?

Loading a level, then loading another makes the newly loaded level "overlap" with the old one. :P The previous level you loaded is never deleted off the memory so you "merge" the levels. lol.

I noticed that problem too. I told it to delete the objects and clear the memory before loading, but it didn't fix the problem. =/

But in any case, it was quite fun documenting the whole thing and learning it's internals.

It's good to know you learned something. That's part of the reason I made this. The other part was I'm considering making a Sonic game with a level editor that will support all kinds of stuff. I knew though that before I could do that I'd have to design an engine that could save and load perfectly and quickly. It looks like I finally pulled that off. I also noticed that barely any games around here support level editting. I personally love level editting since if you've played through the game you can make more levels and have some more fun. Then you can share the levels you've made with other people.

Yeah, that's one of the best parts of it. Being able to create more inside a game you like only extends what great replay value it would have and you end up keeping and continually playing the game for a long time. Not only that, being able to customize something in a game means it'll fit a wider audience.

Aside from that though, another big pro to level creation is that, if you hate the levels already in the game, you're free to go ahead and make better. =P

Exactly. =) Sometime this summer when I put the effort, I'm going to make a multiplayer online game that will support level editting, up to 8 players, and player customizability. I know how to do it, but it's going to take a lot of work.