A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Contra 4

TRD

So yeah, I just got this, and I had one hell of a nostalgia rush. It has a great mix of the classic gameplay with a few new touches added to it, but what's really awesome about this game is the old references to the NES contra.

First off, some of the sound effects greatly resemble the NES version (The standard rifle), the music has remixes from some of the old contra games as well, Stage 2 and 3 for example. The bosses, OMG are fucking epic, and they're old pumped up bosses from the NES contra. Remember the huge alien on top of the waterfall? He makes a come back and he's a kick ass boss. Oh yeah, you'll recognize the new stages as "old stages" because of the similarities.

The "Third-person" Base stages from the NES version are back, but they're now in 3D. You don't necessarily move in a 3D axis, it's the same formula only in a new style.

Contra 4 is supposedly a sequel to the Alien wars, but it's more like a pumped up remake of the original contra. Either way, this game is worth buying.

your thoughts?

So yeah, I just got this, and I had one hell of a nostalgia rush. It has a great mix of the classic gameplay with a few new touches added to it, but what's really awesome about this game is the old references to the NES contra.

First off, some of the sound effects greatly resemble the NES version (The standard rifle), the music has remixes from some of the old contra games as well, Stage 2 and 3 for example. The bosses, OMG are fucking epic, and they're old pumped up bosses from the NES contra. Remember the huge alien on top of the waterfall? He makes a come back and he's a kick ass boss. Oh yeah, you'll recognize the new stages as "old stages" because of the similarities.

The "Third-person" Base stages from the NES version are back, but they're now in 3D. You don't necessarily move in a 3D axis, it's the same formula only in a new style.

Contra 4 is supposedly a sequel to the Alien wars, but it's more like a pumped up remake of the original contra. Either way, this game is worth buying.

your thoughts?

I only played for like 4 minutes after tossing it on my flash cart, but I loved it, and the difficulty is nuts. Great addition to any contra fan's collection.

The game also has a museum mode as well as contra 1, I don't remember if it's the NES or the arcade version, but you do have to unlock it.

Yeah, the difficulty has increased quite a bit, the normal is hard as hell, I had to go with easy mode for now, but you can't play the last 2 stages in easy mode. =\

I'm afraid I might have to use an action replay or something, seriously I could get through level 1 and 2 without a scratch in the classic contras. I'm hoping it won't come to that. >_>

I don't remember if it's the NES or the arcade version, but you do have to unlock it.

It's the NES version, you can unlock Super C and Probotector too. First you have to beat the game in either difficulty and beat a few challenges in the challenge mode.

Yeah, it's pretty awesome.

Normal is hard as hell compared to Easy. I played easy a few times with my brother (he's holdin me back!) and finally completed it. I went back to easy yesterday and floored through it. But Normal is really hard, the furthest I've gotten (wasting all continues) is the level after Ocean. Some of the challenges are pretty hard as well.