A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[Help] Game Over problem

leon

I'm experiencing a big problem, on the Sonic Worlds Engine, trying to make a Game Over Screen: when the life counter reaches zero this should "Jump to frame "game over".

On Game over's frame -> Set Life couter -> 3 . Then -> Jump to Stage 1

The problem happens when the frame starts, when the Application freezes and closes after. Looks like a sound problem.

I have tested that on a different engine and this ran fine. Is that a error on Sonic Worlds Startup?!

Actually I suffered this too. This is a MMF2 inner bug. I solved this with help of a trick.

Despite going to the game over frame you should jump to an emty frame with a single action "jump to the gameover frame"

Something like this:

Level frame-

If lives = 0 then go to frame "blah blah blah"

Blah blah blah frame -

start of frame - go to frame "gameover"

This should help

• Like 1

Thanks, Gsoft.

This problem (as I understood) doesn't depent on lives or something. It just happens sometimes. I suffered this when i tried to jump from forest zone to carnival zone (in Sonic Fusion) directly. I just added an emty frame between them and this helped. Maybe clickteam will fix it in older versions.

or you could make a counter, and when you set it to 0 on start of frame then you say: when counter =1, go to frame 3 (since there is on in the middle maybe) then it should work but you just make it work globaly on all the frames, like it's in one bit frame. I do beleave this works for me, just thought it might help you. Oh and don't forget to tell it to restart.

I think that this bug is related to the fade in-out effects. Sometimes, if you hold a key during a fade-in/out effect, the Runtime crashes.

It could be another thing, too. I'm not just sure. As for myself, checking the lives only when it's needed (when you die) works. It's still pretty strange.

Leon:

The problem is on the stage's frame. Everything else works

I'm not sure, put a 'only one action when event loops in the 'Lives=0' condition.

My theory is that, when lives reach zero, MMF finds the event that makes it go to the Game Over frame, but it goes to said frame more than once. So, the 'only one action when event loops' subcondition will make MMF go to the Game Over frame only once.

Lastly, in the Multi Tutorial I'm making, I put the 'Lives=0' event in the Global Events (and without the 'only one action' subcondition), and it works fine. You can try this too, Leon.

I found the problem.

Leon, you're using an older version of the Worlds engine, I'm sending you an example with the newest version.

The problem itself is in the 'Movement Values' object. It's configured as a global object, so its values remain in memory even after changing frames. To solve this, uncheck the Global Object property, or set all the object's alterable values to zero in the Game Over frame.

When you die, the Hurt value is set to 2 (I think). But if it is a global object, when we return to the level, the value is still 2, it's like starting the level already dead!

And that's it. Problem solved!

NOTE: The newer version holds some weird events that make Fusion crash at the start. Find the events that play music, delete them and create them again. Or to make it easier, use the engine I attached here, it already has these events corrected :tgrin:

Whoa, well, that's all.

I found the problem.

Leon, you're using an older version of the Worlds engine, I'm sending you an example with the newest version.

The problem itself is in the 'Movement Values' object. It's configured as a global object, so its values remain in memory even after changing frames. To solve this, uncheck the Global Object property, or set all the object's alterable values to zero in the Game Over frame.

Whoa, well, that's all.

Gotcha..It's working now. Thanks

Actually, the problem isn't due the the values object is global, at least directly. It is due not resetting the action to 0 once the character is initializated. That way, the die action was being kept over and over, being unable to switch back to action 0.

So.... don't deactivate the global objects being global (it would be a waste of memory otherwise), but set the action to 0 in the player initialization events. And for gods' sake, put the die event in the die action.

The sound events problem is due your MMF2 version not being the lastest one, as Clickteam was silly enought not to put retrocompatibility with older versions of the mfx files when they added new events.