A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Who is your Favorite Sonic Character?

Here’s the obligatory “Favorite Character” thread I’ve seen a thousand times over the years. It would have been made eventually so we might as well get it started early on. Anyway who is your favorite character (or characters) from the Sonic series and why?

My favorite is Knuckles, I’ve liked him ever since his debut in Sonic 3. Just thought the dude was awesome when he burst through the ground and hit Sonic so hard he was able to knock him right out of his Super form. Then when Sonic and Knuckles came out and I got to play as him I began to like him even more. I admit I don’t like the way he has been betrayed in more recent games and wish he would become more important to the series again but overall he is my favorite character.

Second favorite is Espio. I just found his character to be unique and original when he first debuted. All the other characters did the spindash and this guy was revving up to do a tornado attack instead. I also like how they turned him into a ninja once he returned in Heroes.

Third favorite is Sonic himself. First game I ever played in the series was the original Sonic the Hedgehog so I obviously had to like the character or I would have never bought any of the sequels.

My favorite Sonic character is definitely Sonic himself! I love his awesome attitude as well as his various moves and forms. However Knuckles is my second favorite because I love how he has different paths in Sonic 3 because he lives on AI and knows all the secrets of course. :P I also love his ability to glide and to dig. :)

Shadow the Hedgehog is my favourite character in the series. I find his design, personality, and back-story to be well crafted for the most part. I was introduced to the series in 2005, the same time Shadow the Hedgehog was released. While I didn't like the game very much, I found Shadow himself to be very interesting.

I'm not sure who I'd pick as my second favourite character. It's a tie between Tails and Knuckles.

• Like 2

Tie between Sonic and Shadow 
Shadow in my opinion has a really well plotted back story (better than most characters if not all).  Shadow's gameplay is often my favorite always, which I don't know why but oh well.  Shadows design also is pretty slick ;)

Sonic tied with Shadow mainly because I can relate to his attitude often and well...he's the main character in 90% of the games haha.  I tend to like his voice actors a lot too.

I may edit this later to fill in the rest of my opinions on the other characters.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess you can say that I like Shadow The Hedgehog. I like the more serious type and I stay away from the happy-go-lucky characters. I dunno why. I can relate to Shadow's attitude since... I hate annoying people.

I like his backstory but I kinda wish it wasn't all over the place getting people confused and assuming the current Shadow is still a robot...

His game was allright but like I said, I wish it wasn't all over the place.

Before Shadow, it was Knuckles. The old Knuckles. Not the new one whose personality changed drastically in Sonic Heroes... I honestly didn't like the fact that Knuckles was afraid of everything while before then Knuckles was this bad@$$ jerk face who would always compete with Sonic's speed. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers.

Shadow the Hedgehog. Not entirely fond of his angst-trip, but I am very much a fan of his portrayal in Sonic Free Riders. Utilising him as a smug Deadpan Snarker seems the appropriate way to keep his character in line with the more child-friendly tone of the franchise without compromising his image as a badass. Stoicism and seriousness are fine enough traits, but Shadow was quite blank in terms of characterisation in '06.

• Like 2

Sure are a lot of Shadow fans here :P My favourite is Silver. I like how he's different from the other Sonic characters, and thinks about if he's really doing the right thing and if it's justified. He's self concious about being alone, and feels the need for emotional support from someone like Blaze. He also has doubts about himself too, and again needs reassurance. He's the person that wants to be a Hero, but is worried he might be doing the wrong things to get there.

I really think Metal Sonic is cool. I understand and agree with fans who say he really doesn't deserve a lot of the love he gets for being used so sparingly but know what? Don't care. He looks really cool and robotic doppelgangers don't bother me like they do to people who really love to over analyze these characters. There aren't many Sonic characters I don't like at the end of the day, really.

Why do so many people like Silver?  He's one of the newest (if not) newest characters and only one game went into his story in depth and it's marked as the worse Sonic game to release.... Just curious don't mean to offend anyone's opinion.

I like silver for the gameplay he was ment to, and his design isn't bad either. 

Just sad that the game was so buggy, with all characters having no emotions making silver kinda like a douchebag. But if the game didn't suck, Silver would have been great. From the 3 characters, silver is the most fun to play in my opinion. It's the only one that's fun to just walk around while throwing stuff around for a minute. 

But anyway, my favourite character... It's a hard one. :( 
I think it's Knuckles. ;) For today. :P 

I've gotta say inFAMOUS2 has opened my eyes to how fun Silver's gameplay could've been if Sonic 06 wasn't...Sonic 06. Replace lightning bolts with psycho kinesis powers and boom. Cole and Silver share some basic powers. Heck, one boss fight in inFAMOUS 2 had an optimal strategy of picking up cars and using your super powers to launch them towards a big beast. Was a pretty nice fight and at the end I went "WAIT, THAT WAS LIKE A SILVER BOSS...BUT MORE FUN!".

• 1 month later...

Tails has been my favorite for years and years. It could be because I always played as him while my sister played as Sonic....so I connected with the little 'bro who's trying to outgrow the older sibling's shadow....

...but now Tails is just a moron.

Sonic's attitude has really grown on me through my college years, and he still comes across as a very likable character. He just...goes with the flow and always does what he thinks is right.

The other main characters have yet to make a fantastic impression on me. I used to like Espio but I'm not sure why. Oh yeah, Silver is also really cool. He's basically a slow, naive Sonic who's largely misunderstood by the cast. I wish they could develop his character more...

• 1 month later...