A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

PS4 Disscussion

Abominal Taz

To being with, we didn't have a PS4 topic? Da hell were we thinking?

Second, it's been months after E3 and so far, my only Next Gen console acquired is the Wii U, which, not gonna lie, isn't that bad. I'm have a blast with Ducktales, Giana sisters, and Batman Arkham City, oh God yes, Arkham City. Super Metroid is next, but I digress...

So let's take a look at this big ballsy bad boy from the good guy company of the next gen race, Sony.
ps4-hrdware-large18.jpg
At first, the shape kinda threw me off, but God this console looks beautiful and I have a good feeling that when I get it, I'm gonna have fun. What I'm really looking forward to is Kingdom Hearts 3, which is quite far away but it's coming, and holy shit, Destiny. I just know that Destiny might be my favorite game on this console.

What's making me gush over the PS4? Well glad you asked. I don't know why, but I really like this commercial for the system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0d9d-cdxhk

I just don't get it. Somehow, I find this to be the best damn commercial advertised for the new gens I've seen. 

So yes, I look forward to next year as I'm getting a PS4 and seeing for myself how fun this sumbitch can be. It'll also be the next Sony console I ever owned. Yeah, I didn't own at PS2 or PS3. Just a PS1 and PSP. Mostly because I'm not much of a Sony guy and because the PSP was lacking in finesse. I did beat Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 though.

• Like 2

I bought every next gen console at launch.... up until now. The Wii U, 3DS, and Vita. Nothing really interesting came out for any of them until months-a year later. There still isn't anything that interests me on the Vita besides Little Big Planet.

I'll buy the PS4 in about a year. I have a feeling Mirror's Edge 2 will be out by then, and hopefully next Little Big Planet title will be as well. Enough to hold me over. I'm definitely liking the PS4's design a lot. It's very sleek and modern.

• Like 1

If I suddenly feel the urge to get another gaming console, it's definitely going to be the PS4. Even with all of Microsoft's backtracking I just wouldn't feel comfortable buying their new system. Judging by this past generation, I'd get much more use and games out of a PS4 anyways. I honestly wish I hadn't bothered with a 360, the only exclusives on it I've really enjoyed are Blue Dragon, and I started playing Forza Horizon last night which is pretty neat. So an okay JRPG and a great open-world racer. 

Speaking of backwards capability, is the PS4 backwards capable? Or do I have to go download everything off PSN?

For now, it will only play PS4 games. (And Blu-Ray). There's been talk of streaming PS3 and PSN games through that streaming service Sony bought earlier in the year, but you'd almost definitely have to pay for those again / potentially lose your save files. Basically hang onto your PS3

For now, it will only play PS4 games. (And Blu-Ray). There's been talk of streaming PS3 and PSN games through that streaming service Sony bought earlier in the year, but you'd almost definitely have to pay for those again / potentially lose your save files. Basically hang onto your PS3

Sony's next goal should be transferring games (and save files) from the PS3 to the PS4.

As a day 1 buyer of the PS4, I can say that the system is really nice. There just isn't a lot to actually play on it that's totally new. I loved Knack though, as it reminded me of a good Pixar film in both graphics and story. Resogun is also a blast to play. The glorified tech demo known as Flower is also beautiful, with a very noticeable graphic upgrade.

That being said, I've read on several places that transferring of save date from PS3 to PS4 versions is a case by case thing. Some games don't offer it, while others like Diablo 3 will do it with no problems. No one has mentioned charging for the service, which strikes me as something that only the truly cynical would think of in the first place.

That's funny ila IGN gave Knack like a 5.5 I want to say and they gave Flower a 9.2 or something in that range. You can't spell ignorance... meh nevermind.

Personally though I won't buy a next gen system at least not anytime soon. I can see the appeal but since I'm on my computer most of the time why don't I just buy a few new parts for it instead? It's not as if I have time to play all the games anyway and there's plenty to keep me occupied on PC.

The design is nice though on all 3 next gen systems. The two prior generations have had really awkward designs. The PS3 and it's oval shape sort of sitting on a rectangle and the Xbox 360 with it's white, green and chrome and sort of bizarre dip in it. The wii looked okay but I didn't quite understand why they designed it to stand up. This generation they did a much better job IMO.

• Like 1

I just got a PS3 this year, still enjoying that. My PS2 backlog (got it in 2008) is still huge, too.

I will probably get the eventual "Slim" model once it comes out. I might get a DS4 though, it works directly on the PC (hopefully linux too), and requires no tinkering with motionjoy or stuff like that.

Aesthetics wise, design seems improved as Overbound says. Then again, anything is better than launch-date PS3 or 360 (Spiderman font? Seriously?) The Wii is neat though.

Now, functionality and performance wise... that's another thing entirely. Aside from wobblegate, some PS4s had the HDMI flush problem (easy fix though) and the Xbone has the "blender of death" disc drive issue, plus a rather oversized console and a HUGE power brick.

Most PS3s were built in Japan, while PS4s are built in China. The difference is noticeable.

• 2 weeks later...

Aesthetics wise, design seems improved as Overbound says. Then again, anything is better than launch-date PS3 or 360 (Spiderman font? Seriously?) The Wii is neat though.

Now, functionality and performance wise... that's another thing entirely. Aside from wobblegate, some PS4s had the HDMI flush problem (easy fix though) and the Xbone has the "blender of death" disc drive issue, plus a rather oversized console and a HUGE power brick.

Blatant exaggeration. The power brick is actually smaller than the one for the Xbox 360. Notably smaller, in fact.

Edited by Heinous Creature

Yeah, I exaggerate a lot.

It's still bigger compared to most laptop power bricks. But, it wins points for being bi-volt - damn Nintendo and their 110v Wii power brick. It's the Americas region console, ffffffffff (same for the DS... screw 110v only adapters)

Design wise, both systems are much improved compared to the predecessors, though. Even with the failure reports, it's closer to a standard factory failure rate.