A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[Drawing/Digital Painting] Random Girl

its because its too big.

Well, not big, Long.

I think her body looks a bit unproportional to her head, not alot, but enough to notice.

Btw, i love the colors

edit:

The head is fine, its just that the body is too long. An easy way i do body length/proportion is to measure the body in about 6 1/2 or 7 head lengths. (I use 6. although i only use it for assurance, you dont have to ever draw the circles in. its kind of automatic for me, but when something doesnt look right i compare proportion size to the head and thats usually the problem)

This is the way > I < do it.

head =1

neck (self measure, i dunno how to explain that

Chest =1 length down, ABOUT 2 head widths in width

Stomach = 1 length (includes pelvis area)

thighs = 1 length

knee is self measured i guess, i dunno any rubric for that

other leg part is 1 length

And im guessing the other things like Joints (neck knees and feet) make it 6 heads long. (for me.)

That way it keeps the body proportioned with the head. Its no definate rule, as i bend it all the time, but it does the job for me.

What Serephim said is the general rule. It's what they put in the "Learn to Draw" or "How to Draw" books of all variations.

Funny i never really learned it from a drawing book ( i never used drawing books to learn how to draw). Someone better than me told me, and from then on i just started using it.

Extremely easy to grasp.

Guest Shadix

ah, it looks like less the waist so much as the way the shirt hangs and the waist shading. The shirt needs to conform to the body shape.

Also you two, 8 heads is the REAL general rule, but for anime stuff you can cut the number down.

Head, Nipple Line, Navel, Base of groin, 2 heads to the kneecaps and another 2 to the base of the foot.

ah, it looks like less the waist so much as the way the shirt hangs and the waist shading. The shirt needs to conform to the body shape.

Also you two, 8 heads is the REAL general rule, but for anime stuff you can cut the number down.

Head, Nipple Line, Navel, Base of groin, 2 heads to the kneecaps and another 2 to the base of the foot.

In anime you can make it 4 heads if you want >_>

Although then you drew a chibi

I hate chibis.