A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Roller SFGHQ Edition

MaxSonic

Plain and simple. My first fangame was called Sonic Roller. And it sucked. It had a good idea behind it, but at the time I did not have the skill to create what I had envisioned. However a couple of years later, I decided to recreate the game. The end result will be Sonic Roller 1&2 Deluxe. However, while editing the stages for RAGE, I came up a great idea. A version of Sonic Roller that had stages created by different SFGHQ members. I would release a template that SFGHQ members could use to design their own Sonic Roller Stages, including enemies and tilesets. Then all I have to do is enter it into the engine in GameMaker, and release it to SFGHQ for all of them to see. It would be a game WE made. An entry would have the same layout as Sonic Roller: 2 Stages, Boss, 2 Stages, Boss, 2 Stages, Boss, Final Boss, Credits. Each stage would be a certain size and have certain guidelines to follow. However, people would be able to add their own graphics and even create their own enemies. If you guys want to participate in this, I'll create the kit and post it on here. I'd love to here your comments on this.

----------------------------------------------

For those of you not familiar with Sonic Roller, I have an older demo (containing the entire first Sonic Roller game) for download. I also entered a newer version (with horrible sprite edits) into the RAGE contest as Sonic Roller WTFITS.

Gaming W page including Download and Review

The way I'm considering doing the template is in a form that requires neither MMF or GM, because people on here use different programs, and there is no way everyone is going to learn GM5 to do this project. The person would create the tilesets and additional sprites needed for their stage, and give me a "map" of the stage, showing object location and tile location. Additional features, such as gimmicks and bosses, need to be described so they can be put into the program. I'm going to attempt to make a template tommorow, just to show you guys what I mean. In general, what do you guys think of the idea?

Wouldn't it be more sensible to have the stages come from external map files, created in a built-in level editor, rather than having people create fake maps? That way they wouldn't have to send them to you for assimilation, and could just make and play whatever they wanted.

While that would work for levels, can the same be said about custom enemies and bosses? I plan all the user created levels together as one game, which I am currently calling Sonic Roller SFGHQ edition. So far we have two people who wish to participate. Hopefully we can get some more.

Admittedly, custom enemies/bosses would be pretty tough unless you included some sort of script language for them. I just think the whole sending-in-levels-to-have-them-included thing sounds clunky, especially when it's done as a map and not even directly in GM or whatever.