A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

College Basketball's Uniforms O.o;

"I dunno, am I making a big deal out of nothing?"

Yes, because:

"All of a sudden all these these great athletes are going to become 70s sci-fi rejects."

is completely stupid thought. The '70s sci-fi' uniforms are only going to look stupid until you get used to them. And even if you never do they're still going to be great athletes. Get over it.

I dunno, I'm not expert but there's probably good reason for the changes- such as with the new ball they were using for some time. There was nothing wrong with the ball at all, in fact, I believe there were some statistics that showed the ball was working better. The athletes just didn't feel like getting used to "the way it bounced." Then again, the athletes aren't experts at physics. And to my knowledge you're not an expert at either basketball or physics or thermodynamics or whatever field it is that drove these changes. So, yea. They look stupid, but 3 years down they line it'll be become normal.

5664-16988medium.jpg

When the uniforms we use now came out, what do you think THESE people thought? It's evolution guys, if you don't go with it you are just as antiquated as these guys. Things change, just because you aren't used to them doesn't mean they are bad. If you are such a purist, throw on kneepads and some short-shorts before you play like these chaps.

Picked Aggies because these are the fgts beating Slinger in tennis.

Way to be overly ignorant, PC0. Here's what 5 seconds of typing in "Under Armour" in Wikipedia got me:

"Remembering how he had to change cotton T-shirts because they were were soaked with sweat from many practices, he developed a prototype of fiber designed to keep a player clean and light during intense practices and games. He quickly persuaded two college teams, both located in warm climates, to purchase his gear: Georgia Tech, located in frequently hot and humid Atlanta, and Arizona State, in the searing desert of the Phoenix area. The NFL's Atlanta Falcons shortly followed suit. Since then, the number of teams using Under Armour gear has increased to include the vast majority of NCAA Division I-A football programs. The company also makes clothing for many other sports."

A little research and and an open mind goes a long way. Then again, this is SFGHQ.

Too bad your research is a few days too late:

First of all, it's not an entire NCAA change, its only four teams (Arizona, Ohio State, Florida, Syracuse). Secondly, there's options for sleeves and no-sleeves. Thirdly, the fabric is somewhat tight fitting, but that's because it's the same material as Under Armor, which whisks away the sweat during perspiration.

ESPN did a video bit on it, http://broadband.espn.go.com/ivp/splash?id=2791848 (turn off your popup blocker temporarily)

I think it's sweet. I used to wear Under Armor during football and it does help substantially. And there's no real fat, chubby people playing college basketball, so its not gonna be unsightly haha.

Open-minded, indeed.

Way to be overly ignorant, PC0. Here's what 5 seconds of typing in "Under Armour" in Wikipedia got me:

"Remembering how he had to change cotton T-shirts because they were were soaked with sweat from many practices, he developed a prototype of fiber designed to keep a player clean and light during intense practices and games. He quickly persuaded two college teams, both located in warm climates, to purchase his gear: Georgia Tech, located in frequently hot and humid Atlanta, and Arizona State, in the searing desert of the Phoenix area. The NFL's Atlanta Falcons shortly followed suit. Since then, the number of teams using Under Armour gear has increased to include the vast majority of NCAA Division I-A football programs. The company also makes clothing for many other sports."

A little research and and an open mind goes a long way. Then again, this is SFGHQ.

Way to call someone ignorant for having an opinion and stating some research that is completely irrelevant. I don't care about what under armour is, I don't like the way the new uniforms look. Does that make me ignorant for having that opinion? Gee, so sorry for having my own feelings rather than accepting something as a "good thing" simply because Wiki has an article on it's origin. The fact that they reduce sweat and supposedly increase player performance isn't a good thing in my mind, it changes the game. I'm a fan of street ball style gear, because that's how me and my friends would go dressed as to play or at least similarly. Same goes for the ball you're on about, the fact that it bounces better is a BAD thing, it changes the game.

That and reguardless of whether I'm 'used to them' or not, they DO look like they're out of a 70s sci fi movie. Is it a god damn cardinal sin that I don't like that look? Am I some how an ignorant asshole because I don't like the appearance of something? Well excuse me for thinking for myself and forming my own opinion. Never once did I turn this into a personal attack on anyone, but then you go in calling people ignorant and implying that they're somehow stupid, for having an opinion on an article of clothing. Jesus Christ, Scatt, where do you get off acting like this?

Oh and Koray: Those uniforms look even worse, I'm not being a purist, I'm saying that the current shorts and jersey are the best looking gear so far. It's something you could more or less walk outside in the real world while wearing. I like it because it's simple.

Epon: Late? Well considering that PC0's post was on this page, I posted the same information he apparently hasn't seen (judging by his comment). Nowhere did I say it was "new information" or anything of that sort. It's not like I was required to go look for your quote. Also, you didn't specifically mention the "hot, humid... searing" bit that actually goes quite far in proving the point I was making: that it's not "silly" and actually does make sense. Indeed?

PC0: Haha, see.. you're getting two very different posts and combining them. I never said that you thinking they looked stupid was wrong or ignorant or anything of that sort. I only said that they'll still be great athletes no matter what they wear. How that somehow equates to "you'd better like them, because your opinion sucks" I'm not all too sure. The ignorant thing was a completely different post and had nothing to do with the fact that you dislike the way it looks. The only thing that went to was the fact that not only is there also a short-sleeved version but the fact that rather than figure out why long sleeves could be practical you just immediately dismiss it as "silly." Which is why nowhere in that post did I mention how it looked and only posted information regarding the material for the long sleeved shirt. Which, again, has nothing to do with your thoughts on how it looks. The concept of the material being pointless when indoors and the uniform design looking stupid are not the same. Note that nowhere in any of my posts did I say I liked it. I don't actually- at least not the long-sleeved one. The short one looks fine but the long sleeves are something I'll have to get used to. Don't get so fired up that you miss what I'm saying- you're opinion wasn't under attack. I'm not even going to argue the "changing the game" bit because the games changed quite a bit already and it's somewhat null. However, you should probably realize that unlike you they aren't exactly going to be wearing them as "normal clothes" so aesthetics aren't really as important and the only reason the stuff you're talking about is "street gear" is because over time it's been accepted as such.

Shorts and shirt are hardly definable as specialized. They were pre-established long before basketball came along. My point was Scatta, that you're going on about ignorance and stupid ideas and then referencing things that are entirely off topic. I was talking about their appearance, not some scientific reasoning behind their usage. I could HIGHLY IN DETAIL into why the fact that they have a practical purpose is retarded too, but it was never the intention of this topic, so I'll avoid doing that unless necissary.

I never said that you thinking they looked stupid was wrong or ignorant or anything of that sort.

Really? Sure could of fooled me...

Yes, because:

"All of a sudden all these these great athletes are going to become 70s sci-fi rejects."

is a completely stupid thought.

Maybe a little clarity next time would be nice? Sounds a lot like you're calling my thoughts stupid if you ask me. kthx

And what I meant by the "Catch a cold" thing was that I -HAD- read Epon's 'research' and I feel that a little swear never hurt anyone. See, sweat tends to make you cold, because when it evaporates, it carries away heat. When you're outside, this can make you TOO cold and result in a weakening of the immune system, resulting in a cold. Under armor and sweat prevention aren't necessary in an in-door sport. So you don't need a special suit to "keep you warm" as the guy in that video happened to say, you're in-doors already and the sweat is part of the game. You don't need a god damn space suit, it's basketball.

Which is why nowhere in that post did I mention how it looked and only posted information regarding the material for the long sleeved shirt. Which, again, has nothing to do with your thoughts on how it looks.

Which also had nothing to do with what my topic post was about. This thread wa a discussion about looking like a fruit-cake (litterally) on the court, not about the pros and cons of under armor fabric. I think that's called derailing as I recall.

Oh and for GOD'S SAKE SCATT! INDENT YOUR PARAGRAPHS! I NEED TO BREATHE!