A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Homing thok

I need some help on making Sonic do a homing thok. I looked in the main site but all I found was one tutorial. When I tried to open it, it said I was missing a file or extension. Anyways, it said for the tutorial "There are better ways to do the homing attack than this method; It creates a seperate Sonic object for the actual homing, which isn't really needed. The events are done pretty sloppy, and the technique doesn't always seem to work." So if there's a better way to do a homing thok than what the tutorial must have had, can someone please help me? I'm using MMF, BTW.

I'm not sure what a "Thok" is. But if you wasn't able to open the tutorial, you need to download the extension found at clickteam.

http://www.clickteam.info/extensions/

O.K. here's the link, what you need to do is find out what type of extension you need, (It will tell you when you open the tutorial.) and put the name of the extension in the filename box. Then just follow along there.

Well you see, most of the tutorials at SFGHQ are built using the built in platform movement... which is pretty damn hard to incorporate into a static engine sometimes. (Which is what I assume you're using)

Anyway there should be a static homing tutorial somewhere by Xinok somewhere on the site, and that one is pretty good to use.

First, you need a method for finding the closest homing attackable enemy. Thats probably the hardest part. Its important to put the enemies qualifier (or an equivalent "homeable" modifier) on any enemy (or target) you want to be able to homing attack.

Then, when the homing attack is engaged, you want to set a targeting reticule (invisible or otherwise) on the enemy and basically... just accelerate on the X and Y planes to where Sonic will move towards it.