A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

So how bout that FFXII?

shadowgoten

I scooped up the new Final Fantasy at midnight monday and I am f'ing HOOKED!

The battle system is actually pretty damn solid, if you took a regular FF battle, made it real time allowing you to move around, this is what you'd get. You can still select commands for all your team mates, or make a string of commands (called gambits) for your character to follow, kinda reminds me of list of programming commands in which the higher they are the more priority they would get over the other. The gambits allow you to keep the battle pace as quick as possible, without having to micromanage. The battles are fluid and fast paced, so leveling up is a very fun and fast affair. Random battles have been thrown out the window in favor of a find monsters on the overworld and kick their ass right then and there, other monsters can jump into the fight if they wander on by, and there's even neutral monsters that will randomly buff you. Also, with the way the battles are set up, the size of monsters really dawns on you, like one of the first bosses is a HUGE spider-like enemy, and it's almost like fighting something out of a dungeon boss in Zelda:OoT.

A new feature that FFXII is toting is something called the license board, similar in structure to the sphere grid in FFX, but not crap. Every time you defeat an enemy you gain license points which can then be used to purchase licenses on each characters license board, you need to purchase the license to be able to cast spells, augment HP/MP and casting abilities, use new weapons, etc. It sounds stupid at first, but it really does let you build each character into a specific kind of person, such as your badass tank or your caster.

One thing I have to comment on is the music in this game, the music is AMAZING. The boss battle music itself is indication on just how epic it is. I have yet to be dissapointed with the music selection so far.

The storyline takes a more olde english approach and I actually enjoy it. The storyline seems to focus less on 1 main character and focuses more on all the characters, ala FF3/6 which is great. Apparently there are many plot twists that you don't even see coming, or so I've read. One of the characters (Balthier) actually reminds me of a Jack Sparrow kind of fellow, he's probably my favorite character so far.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, I can't wait for good ol' gilgamesh.

The judges are nothing but storyline characters, they have no bearing on battles. I know they were a big thing in tactics advance, but they are just here for show.

The licenses actually work to your favor in creating the kind of class you want out of every character. It takes a bit of time to gather the necessary points but, battling is always pretty fast paced.

Now all I need is a spare 50 bucks lying around :P

Well, I've become pretty set lately on buying up cheap games (ever since I got back from Germany I've had a huge backlog of old, cheap games I've been wanting to get), so I'll get this once the price comes down to around 30/40 or somewhere in that neighborhood anyway.

I still have to beef against the character's Backstreet boy like appearance though.

I played it at one of my friends house and, I'm sad to say, It didn't give me quite a fix like FF7 did, That's the best one. The story really got to me and the characters too.

They need to put it on the PSP.

Like a remake or something.

The chicks were blazin' though in FFXII

"It didn't give me quite a fix like FF7 did, That's the best one."

Lawl. And why? Because everyone else says so? For real man. Maybe at the time it gave you a fix but it doesn't seem to have aged well. It's like playing Pokemon Fire Red, it's an awesome remake in that it gives you the same experience with additions. And yet.. everytime I try to pick it up I'm deathly bored of it and set it back down.

Or, y'know, he really DID like FF7 more than the others, but whatev, I guess honestly liking what everyone else likes must just mean you're stupid or something.

"It didn't give me quite a fix like FF7 did, That's the best one."

Lawl. And why? Because everyone else says so?QUOTE]

Uh, no I actually played and beat the game and, It was quite good.

You I actually bought it by an accident because I look on the box art and it looked like a fighting sword, during that time I didn't know about RPGs.

But after that one, I played a whole collection FF games, even final fantasy Tattics advance.

I guess I like it so much is because I started liking RPGs when I played that one.

How can you compare a 40+ hour RPGs in one sitting to one you played the entire way through?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to playing FFXII, probably for christmas. I'm interested to see how the battle system will feel. Watching some gameplay videos (especially the awesome Gilgamesh battle), it felt like constantly changing the Gambit setup disrupted the flow. On the other hand, I've generally only heard good things about it since it's been released.

But after that one, I played a whole collection FF games, even final fantasy Tattics advance.

Oh my!? Even FFTA?! Impressive!

Oh wait, FFTA sucked. Seriously though, I refuse to take the opinion of any person on RPGs who only started into the genre with FF7.

Below is a double post that has been automagically merged into the original.

You can say that about ANY franchise, brown square nose.

That FF7 is the most overrated game in the franchise?

I refuse to take the opinion of any person on RPGs who only started into the genre with FF7.QUOTE]

No no, this was when I was at least 13. I knew about RPGs along time now.

And I didn't say that FFXII is bad, No it's actually quite good. I was saying that it wasn't like the FF7. But if I did want to get an RPG game, Then It would have to be any of the FF series, Any.

FF7 might be overrated, but it's still an excelent game that isn't misplaced being at the top of a persons' list. Of course, there are so many great RPGs (and so many great non-FF RPGs) that it's hard to accept FF7 being number one so many people's "best FF ever" and even "best RPG ever" list. I guess the best reason to explain it is that so many people did start into RPGs with FF7.

DW, popular opinion equals popular opinion, not fact. You can't ordane it with some fanboy perspective and then interpret it as concrete. TRD enjoyed FF7, oh my word, call the gamer police!

I refuse to take the opinion of any person on RPGs who only started into the genre with FF7.

I believe my first RPG was FF9 :0 (Except probably pokémon but uh... that doesn't count... because I said so. :mad:) Does that count?

I think FF7 is very overrated. Sometimes I think that it's possibly just because I got it after all the hype and ____ and expected so much more, but I still prefer FF9 :)

That FF7 is the most overrated game in the franchise?

I thought we were all adults here, I figured you were mentally capable of making the connection that I meant that as in every franchise has an overrated qualifier to it, I wasn't indicating that FF7 happens to overrated in the Star Wars trilogy or in all 3 Lord Of The Rings books.

Then again, I DID call you brown square nose, but c'mon, that was a priceless picture.