A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic The Hedgehog Origins (FANGAME)

Clouder

gallery_211_16_71950.png

So while the engine for Sonic Revo is being worked on, I've changed my focus to making a fangame that feels like the classics. So I got Multimedia Fusion and Sonic Worlds Delta. After several hours of messing with Multimedia Fusion 2, I made something of a VERY rough demo. Here's the link to it:

http://www.2shared.com/file/-wlUJjCy/SonicOriginsdemov01installer.html

If you play it, you might notice that it has all the music and sound effects of the Sonic Worlds demo. That's because I can only make the game. Stuff like tiles and music are not my strong area. So if you want to help with level tiles, music or just plain helping a n00b make a fangame, PM me with some of your work. I don't have any story yet (I'm thinking of making the true Sonic 4 with Mecha Sonic and everything), but I should have that soon. So tell me what you think of my progress so far!

PROGRESS REPORT:

-Level 1, Windy Mountain has been cleaned up noticeably

-Some music has been changed to various tracks from Sonic CD and Sonic Unleashed.

-MOAR RINGS HAVE BEEN ADDED

-I added backgrounds!

Posititions open:

-Musicians

-Animators

-Spriters

-Tileset rippers

The only thing I know how to do is make green hill tiles....and some yoshi's island grass. I hear you. The most frustrating part is trying to make it look like a game when all you have is...no artistic ability. MS Paint FTW!

Directly importing EHZ/HTZ tiles leaves a very  bump ride, imo. I usually overlay the grass as a foreground backdrop, so the character sorta runs...in the grass, and they move quickly. I noticed this technique when playing SBTS and looking at some of the classic games. 

Tops of some loops obstructed by thick tiles.

This looks very similar to my first attempt. Keep at it.

Here's a quick attempt of grass....and why I recommend learning how to import tiles over trying your own art.

ENptJd1.png

• Like 2

The only thing I know how to do is make green hill tiles....and some yoshi's island grass. I hear you. The most frustrating part is trying to make it look like a game when all you have is...no artistic ability. MS Paint FTW!

Directly importing EHZ/HTZ tiles leaves a very  bump ride, imo. I usually overlay the grass as a foreground backdrop, so the character sorta runs...in the grass, and they move quickly. I noticed this technique when playing SBTS and looking at some of the classic games. 

Tops of some loops obstructed by thick tiles.

This looks very similar to my first attempt. Keep at it.

Here's a quick attempt of grass....and why I recommend learning how to import tiles over trying your own art.

ENptJd1.png

Thanks for the feedback. This was really a very rough draft of the first level and I'm still working on it.

EDIT: I'm thinking of having the default level boss to be the first boss. But with a challenge. You also have to fight the onslaught of Buzzbombers.

I suggest making releases like this standalone exe's. It's never a good idea to release installers, especially for beta versions.

As for the game itself, all it seems to be is an out of place sprite swap of the Sonic Worlds default stage. It just seems way too early at this point to be released.

I wish you well with your fan game, but I don't have much to say at this point.

• Like 1

PROGRESS REPORT:

-Level 1, Windy Mountain has been cleaned up noticeably

-Some music has been changed to various tracks from Sonic CD and Sonic Unleashed.

-MOAR RINGS HAVE BEEN ADDED

Well, that's all that's been done since 8:30 this morning.

EDIT: I put a background in the level.

Edited by DaHog

I've got a vid comin' soon on it. I'll update this post when it's uploaded. Since you're importing tiles, you may have to...improvise. I won't say how since I'm not to that stage yet. I'm sure you'll figure something out.

To put it simply: Make the floor flat on layer 2. Put the jaggy grass on layer 5.

I've got some good news, and I've got some bad news. The bad news is, my laptop's hard drive died on Saturday. I am using a CD-run OS , hoping to save the game data. The good news is that the game's title is officiallly Sonic the Hedgehog Origins!

UPDATE: The project is saved, but I have decided to wipe the slate clean and start fresh. This includes new Sonic sprites:

ssonicatssprites.png

What do you think? 

Edited by DaHog

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...