A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Whirlwind Returns!

Progress: 10%

Whats going on Now: Spriting for next zone! boss coding

Powered by: Hedgehog Engine 2D[sonic Worlds Advanced]

Let me explain whats going on.... This is not meant to be a full game like plained. If you wondered what happened to it being retro based, well thats what the collab is for. This was only made for me to take a brake for the retro-ness and try to see if I can use my level design on the modern type gameplay. This game will only have 4 zones(hub worlds) with 4 acts and some side missions/mini games. If I decide to continue after the main plan is finished, I will pull a capcom and expand the mission mode and maybe even add a few extra playable characters.

Game play

Sonic will some what play like he does in unleashed{fastest}

Tails will have his gba moves along with something new

Knuckles will have his gba moves along with something new{Slowest}

Story: Sonic is bored till he sees some Badniks & Eggpawns go by with Robotink following after. Sonic gets up and gets ready for this adventure!

Screenshots:

Characters

Untitled-3copy.pngUntitled-4copy.png

In-Game Shots

speed.pngNPCsandActRing.pngRandompartofhub.pngTailslab.pngBaldyMcNosehairs.pngUntitled-8.pngUntitled-7copy.png

Cutscenes

boring.png

Edited by Kessler12

1) Not an awful lot to go on.

2) An Advance fangame with those bloody Leaf Forest and Neo Green Hill Zone tiles again? Seriously!? Try something more original man! Look at what Sonic Fusion does for reference.

3) The light/dark pattern of grass looks silly. Grass wouldn't just turn dark and then back to light so suddenly. Perhaps make it fade softly into each shade?

4) Tails's workshop looks stunning. That's some serious spriting. However, I'm gonna hazard a guess that you didn't make that...

I'm with sonicyoda.

I'll presume that you did the dark/light pattern to create an green hill atmosphere, but it doesn't look good, it looks that you darkend it in photoshop instead of using an dark palette.

I know that Tails' Workshop, it looks nice indeed but, I dunno man, I've saw it in so many comics and games that kinda makes me beg for something original.

The Sonic's palette looks kinda of good, but Tails' one looks to much bright. I would also add an shadow to the names on the select character screen.

I dunno, I think you can make better than this. Also...

Story: No body really cares...

I do.

An Advance fangame with those bloody Leaf Forest and Neo Green Hill Zone tiles again? Seriously!? Try something more original man! Look at what Sonic Fusion does for reference.

That's not Leaf Forest and Neo Green Hill, that's Sunset Hill and Neo green Hill. THATS A BIG DIFFERENCE XD

And thanks btw :)

2) An Advance fangame with those bloody Leaf Forest and Neo Green Hill Zone tiles again? Seriously!? Try something more original man! Look at what Sonic Fusion does for reference.
To be fair this is the first time I've seen them on a decent level layout and with actual sides and ramps. My real nitpick is Advance 1s art style doesn't blend as well with Advance 2 and 3.

Well actually I can understand why most people are using first levels of advance games. First you want to establish engine, gameplay, mechanics etc. and only than you start thinking about your game looking good.

However my first level was carnival zone from crackers (not the most original level either) but I chose it because I was thinking "I'm so smart, nobody have ever used it before"

I ripped off mario with the story. more characters may appear but will be an npc.

Idk why this didn't show up in my last post but...

@Everyone: I mainly care about programing & level design! Also I don't plan on making this game long as it is only 3 zones.[blazehog rip off lol] all other stuff like bg can wait.

Also a friend of mine showed me how to make ai characters, so you will see some sonic & Tails gameplay soon! Idk why I never showed tails playable in the screenshots.

Finally a warning:

sonic can boost, yet he does it the su wii/ps2 way, there will be rails & dash pads[final zone], knuckles may not be playable, hub worlds, sonic has green eyes. That is all

I wonder how are you going to implement HUBs. Hope it'll be some sort of isometric view.
Looking at the screenshots, I guess the HUBs will be Sonic Advance 3 themed.
That's a thrilling story.

Seriously though, I'm glad your focus is on gameplay and not story.

I agree. I mean, I kinda like the idea of Mecha and Metal Sonic against Sonic (even if it's kinda of nonsense since one is the updated version of the other), but I dunno about Cream kidnapping...

Robotnik/Eggman looks kinda of a bitch dropping a bomb when Sonic is sleeping, I mean, he'd always been an lousy motherfucker, he wouldn't drop a bomb on Sonic while he's asleep he would probably scream as fuck and wake him up... But even if he'd droped a bomb, I mean, why the hell would he do that with a bomb that keept Sonic still alive? If I was an mad scientist going to catch my archenemy by surprise I would double check the bomb and would use something like a nuclear bomb... And if I didn't want to spoil my plot and just make him follow me, I would just kidnap one of his friends and wake him up.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...