A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 3D Techdemo

DizzyDoo

DARN IT! Sorry, i posted in the assistence Board, not the fangaming discussion board. Not a good start at all. Move please?

Hi everyone, i have started to make a 3D Sonic fangame that i've called Sonic 3D Techdemo. I understand the huge amount of work that goes into creating a fangame, and this is my first try at one that is 3D. For this reason i am first prototyping the idea that i have in my head before even considering creating all the pretty art assets, all the levels or even a storyline. I've posted it here because chances are that i'll need a bit of help, probably either mathematical or graphical (i suck so badly at photoshop).

More about the game then we'll get to the screenshots. It is being developed with the Torque Game Engine (just as Dimension Warped's is) but i am not using things like 3Ds Max. I'm using good old Milkshape3D to rig things, Character Fx to animate them and Wings3D to do what little modelling i'll have to do. Pretty low budget i should think. The game itself is just trying to get the good old days of Sonic 3 & Knuckles into 3D. None of this Sonic Adventure stuff here.

Okay here are some screenshots. As you can see the Sonic is the fantastic model by Damizean, rigged and animated (badly) by myself:

screenshot1.png

At the moment the animations completed and working fine are 'standing' and 'running'. Jumping is broken at the moment. Next, heres a loop, which while not perfect, is still pretty cool:

screenshot2.png

At the moment that loop is gigantic. How big? This big:

2soics.png

Sonic as you can see is hovering above the terrain. Another problem to fix. The other sonic who seems to be running at an angle is a bot that follows a path.

The rings: 0 HUD in the top left is currently in progress, and the scripting is almost done. It's kind of a good feeling to be progressing with a 3D game for once. I have about 3 and a half weeks of summer holidays left, so i'll be spending a reasonable amount of time working on this. I'm planning to enter this for SAGE, though i don't really know how SAGE works.

-----------Milestones!-----------

I have set myself some milestones so you and i can keep track of the development progress. No silly percentages just done, not done, in progress.

Milestone 1

1) Get a textured Sonic Ingame - Done

2) Get Sonic to conform to terrain - Done

3) Get basic animations working for Sonic - Done

4) Get Sonic conforming 360 degrees round a loop - In Progress

5) Get a basic collecting ring and losing ring system inplace - In Progress

6) Make a dieing system when rings = 0 - Not Done

Milestone 2

No objectives for milestone 2 yet.

----------------------------------------

Thats it for now. Comments and stuff welcome!

DizzyDoo

Terrain normals i think. Like DW i'm following one of these resources that is actually designed for a tank to conform to the terrain, so theres a bit of adjustment needed.

Hey, your Damizean, thanks for the model it looks really good! Hmmm, check your PM box....

Thanks guys (and whoever moved this). Yeah, the loops texture is really off, you should have a closer look at the top if you want to see how bad it really is. Actually you can see it from the first screenshot at the end.

EDIT: Also, i'm just preparing for SAGE, are there any awards given at the end?

Heh... good luck. I'll keep on helping you out as needed.

EDIT:

@Shadix: Just based on the line that is kinda ripped on the loop, you can tell that it is dif.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/EchidnaDude/2soics.png

This occurs when you have a slightly improper export from the dif file... It gets much worse as the model is scaled more as I'm pretty sure this one is.

@Dizzy: You can fix this with one of the options for in quark... something like use exact floating point values or something and its somewhere in settings.

I'm not sure if CS4 has an equivalent option to the "use exact floating point values" in Quark. It probably does though.

Wow, pretty cool :D I would love to see this in movement. How are you detecting terrain slopes? By terrain normals? I should try out Torque from time to time :/

Say,

Onsayce Isay gesayt msayy compsayuter basayck, wesayll tasaylk. Yesayah?