A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 30th Anniversary Game

8 hours ago, AzureHedgehog said:

I'm hoping for a Sonic Adventure Remake

I absolutely do not understand this sentiment. What could we possibly have to gain from an Adventure remake, especially considering that some of the most fun things about Adventure are the unintended shortcuts and over-powered spindash, things that morons cite as major flaws that the devs would probably "fix"? Don't forget that SA1 is basically the only 3D Sonic game that ever controlled really well (SA2 in second place but a bit worse, and then it turns to slippery garbage in Heroes), so why would I trust them to replicate good controls when they've been doing a consistently bad job of that for the last 16 years? I like Generations but I don't play it without mods that massively improve on the controls for Modern and especially Classic Sonic, because they both control like jet-powered shopping carts in the vanilla game.

Add to that how 3D Sonic level design has mostly only gotten steadily worse since SA1, and across SA1 if you compare the final version of Windy Valley to the infinitely more interesting AutoDemo version. They genuinely considered final Windy Valley to demonstrate how far they'd come across the development of the game, and it's the blandest Sonic level even across both Adventure games. SA2 is better, and I do love that game to death, but you can see the flaws of final Windy Valley becoming level design mainstays by that point. And then Heroes is like the distillation of everything that didn't work about SA2 Sonic levels without any of the good parts.

I really hate Heroes. Don't @ me.

Like, what do we get in the best-case scenario? The same exact SA1 but with better graphics, and that would be a miracle of an end result. Only in the magical fantasy realm of a fanwank fever dream do we get some glorious reimagining of SA1 based on the original plans of the team before they were scaled down to actually be practical on the Dreamcast.

I'm sorry, but the fact that SA1 is my favorite Sonic game is precisely why I don't want to see SEGA tarnish it with a remake that has no chance of replicating the experience that made the original so special.

Oh, and let's not forget that this whole mythos of an Adventure remake has been blown totally out of proportion based on a single remark by Iizuka wherein he says he likes the idea of remaking Adventure with modern tools. He doesn't say he has plans to actually do it, he just says he likes the idea.

There is not going to be an Adventure remake. Nor should there be.

Edited by KyoSo

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Shaun Shikeishuu said:

Sonic Adventure remake. Another 2D game by the Mania team would be great too.

No and yes.

I've been playing SA1 since I was a little kid. I don't want them to waste a 5-year wait on just giving me a worse version of it that looks prettier.

I'd rather get another game like Mania, which despite its heavy use of familiar imagery was very much its own game.