A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Generations - Unleashed Project

This thing came out!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/sonic-generations-unleashed-project for downloads and instructions.

If you're unfamiliar, the Unleashed Project is basically a project to port Sonic Unleashed's main day time stages into Sonic Generations, tweak them a little bit to make them compatible with the new playstyle, and let you play them with Generations' game play, 60 FPS and other PC benefits. 

I can't comment as to how well it works since Generations doesn't like my laptop's graphics card...not saying it's a good one and I probably couldn't run Generations anyway, but you know. Anyone here given it a spin?

• Like 2

I've been following this ever since the first test videos, downloading every 60fps playthrough and all. I downloaded this the second I saw the trailer and played through. Everything looks and plays fantastically, I daresay better than the Unleashed iterations. Not only are the graphics and even textures much higher in resolution, but the team even added fun little visual elements in certain places; snow and dancing penguins in Cool Edge, extra NPCs in areas, the confetti and hot air balloons from Generations' Rooftop Run, etc. I already played through the port once, and will go back for Wentos and the Red Rings I missed tomorrow.

Oh yeah and DAT HUB.

• 2 months later...

I think this mod proves that there are still plenty of people out there who appreciate Unleashed and see it as more than just "that bad Sonic game with the werewolf". Hopefully SEGA will learn something from this, I doubt they will.

• Like 2

I think this mod proves that there are still plenty of people out there who appreciate Unleashed and see it as more than just "that bad Sonic game with the werewolf". Hopefully SEGA will learn something from this, I doubt they will.

Honestly Unleashed is one of my favorite Sonic games, it's just hard to want to replay it because it's sluggish in the beginning. Once you've got some upgrades on the Werehog and gotten past the first two worlds it picks up in my eyes.

I haven't been able to play through it myself, but the scoring system couldn't be changed so it's still using Generations. I'm sure there's also some texture differences, and a few behind-the-scenes things cut down or out completely to hold stabilize the frame rate. Also any Unleashed-specific coding for objects usually has a Generations work-a-round instead. Like, this doesn't have Unleashed's QTE ramps, but rather it has Generations trick ramps. Judging from the trailer a few camera angles are different too, but overall it should largely be similar to Unleashed. Oh, and Red Rings inserted into the levels. 

Well, the point is for there to be as little differences as possible. :P The thing that's meant to be impressive is that a group of fans spent months upon months getting all of this together and working past all the problems to get this looking as much like Unleashed as they could. This was literally extracting files from Sonic Unleashed, realizing that it was compatible with Sonic Generations PC and working from there to recreate the stages from Unleashed in Generations. Haha

Me still no see difference.

I checked some videos over YouTube and it still plays the same.

IF it's paid for, then people have wasted money, if it's free.. then good for them?

I'm not sure what you're expecting? It's a free mod, you have to pay for Generations, the game to play this obviously though. Like, this is literally months of hard work, the team dealing with all kinds of bugs and working around things. They ported a game's stages as seamlessly as possible into a different game. Again, the point is for it to play as closely to Unleashed as possible. It's an engineering feat, not a spin on Unleashed.

I guess that makes sense if you're fixing the glitches and bugs I guess.
But either than that I don't see a point besides an update(that's what I think).
But I guess i'm done chatting in this topic, I was just wondering why an update of this.