A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SAGE 2014 Act 2 - STAGE THAT TUNE WINNER ANNOUNCED

ila

nCkck5Y.png

Here's some "concept art". It's supposed to be a town inspired by Chinese architecture. It takes place at night and you can also see some of Eggman's stuff in the background. This was kind of rushed and hopefully the tilt shift and vignette didn't make it 2edgy :P

Edited by Proto Dan
  • Like 1

My Entry!

Hey there! My name is Chaoscollector and this is my zone I designed to go along with the song Sun Skip provided here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nljnLI5fBw

The song made me feel like I was on an epic journey, and it screamed progression. It was like every note was taking me closer to something big! an epic goal! and with that in mind, I designed the following zone! I hope you like it!:)

Below are 3 images giving a brief look at the different sections of the stage which I have given separate names reflecting there surroundings. However, the stage itself is collectively known as:
ENTRY_zpsff0d601a.png

Astral Heights is a journey to a castle in the sky that is said to belong to a higher power! A king? An emperor? Maybe even a God! no one has ever reached the castle itself before! Here are more precise descriptions of each section:

EndlessAcent_zps1a58caa9.png

The ruin area directly below the castle has earned this name because this is where most fall in their journey! the calming sunset and remains of collapsed towers make it a very lonely but relaxing place. This does not stop it however, from scaring away many warriors with it's steep inclines that require expert climbing skills... but that's not a problem if you can just run up them at break neck speed right?...

SkyHighClimb_zps57d4fdac.png

This is where things really get tough! after traversing the rocky terrain below, a direct route straight up through the clouds is all that stands between you and access to the palace! it's so close you can see it in the distance! just don't fall! at that height, it's going to cost you!

Autumglow_zps330ff5d0.pngThe palace doors are just up ahead! the streets are literally paved with gold here! but don't get too confident! the kingdom locals don't take kindly to newcomers! well what are you waiting for!? Go find out just who lurks behind that palace door! and good luck!

• Like 2

Here is my entry:

I probably won't have time to create any screenshots but here is the idea:

The song sounds a bit like a underwater stage to me, so I thought about making a stage which has underwater elements in it, but it's not a full underwater stage, so how would this look like ?

The floor would have a hydrocity like brick tileset in a grey color, the underwater parts of the stage have background walls with darker colored walls. The stage would have chinese architecture like buildings on the normal path. The level is at sunset.

The stage would have 3 different paths, you can switch from one path to the other on many points of the stage.

The normal path would be above the water and you would see a lot of the buildings, there are some pits, if you fall down you go to the bottom part, but there are hidden springs inside wood crates, sonic can walk past them but you can jump on them to break them(like the sonic 3 rocks in angel island), then you can use the springs to go up to the top path.

The top path would be above the buildings on the roof of them, a lot of them would have slopes, so you could roll and get to high speeds easy here, but you would need to be very careful because there are a lot of ways to fall down.

The bottom path is underwater, there are springs to go up if you want to but there are a lot of hidden rewards underwater.

Enemies

The stage would have 3 types of the chopper badnik.

One of them works like in sonic 1 and jumps but you can get hit if you jump on top of it because it has spiky teeth. You can jump to it from the side without any trouble or use the instashield. You would find this badnik a lot in the middle/normal path.

One swims around without doing much, nothing special. Found in the bottom path.

One swims but starts to chase you if it sees you. You can't directly jump into it, spiky teeth are spiky so you would need to move around it or use the instashield. Found in the bottom path.

The level would end with all 3 paths connecting back to one, the water path goes up with a little slope, the top path launches you to a lot of rings and the middle part continues.

Ok, so I had a little bit time to make a small tileset for the bricks part:

UeKaBpe.png

It's a bit rushed and not complete but I hope that this is ok ?

I remember that you said that it needs to fit sun skip, what do you mean with that ? Does it need to have a set stage Theme ?

If you have any questions, please ask.

Edited by r543
  • Like 1

You guys clearly know nothing about atmosphere. The tune can fit one and only one possible level concept:

ku9FUM8.png

It's called "Barrel Night Zone". It's a metaphor for how life is full of ups and down and how barrels are just plain awesome.

The boss is a massive barrel that shoots barrels made of tiny barrels at you.

Edited by ChaosLord
  • Like 7

I appreciate everyone's entries, but today I'm going to announce that I'm extending the deadline until tomorrow, Friday August 8 at NOON Central time. I'll be going ot TMNT tonight and thus won't be able to kick of judging anyway.

In the interest in creativity the longest I can give you is until 5 PM TODAY, aka when I get off work and will be getting home to judge stuff.

So we'll do that. Final deadline extension: 5 PM Central time, TODAY August 8.

• Like 1

I should have headed 06's warning. I should have sped up. 

Falling Fleet:

Anyways here's my stage. I wanted a sort of oriental themed lower part of the level and the higher part would be more of a high tech city type look, literally emerging from the oriental buildings rooftops with Eggman's oriental themed ships incoming, falling to the surface of the clouds to invade the city. Sonic having to give chase through the rooftops high above the skies, so high that the no ground what so ever can be seen. The city illuminated at the top with little lights and signs, as the lower half is littered with comforting lamps. Fireworks going off in the distant background.

v8WexeZ.jpg

xRasw04.jpg

In the midst of the stage before the music gets to the more intense part Eggman gloats about his amazing armada "Oh-hoho, Sonic- I brought this fleet, special for the occasion! Festive right?" 

The ships would be shaped like dragons and some shaped normally but with oriental looking rooftops/architecture atop them. Having firework cannons as you run on top of his fleet, that would be firing toward the city. Dragons would have a cannon front and center akin to the egg carrier. That'd fire a laser tinted red with flames coming out of it as well to add to the spectacle of it all (Eggman that glorious show boat :P) The level would feature high tech and more "themed" gimmicks and such like,

lsoOlsC.jpg

A dragon statue, mouth open, with spring read for Sonic to bounce off of. A hoop that would have something like those laser pointers but a couple (about 8) each pointing towards the next to form a hoop formation. A loop where the rooftop and it's fancy design pulls a green forest and would have Sonic off of the tip point to then reach the bottom of one of the high tech floating builds which happens to have be in shape of the upper half of a loop to the land back down onto a rooftop next to the one you started on. Also featuring a dashramp that has fireworks on either side that'd give off the appearance of being lit and ready to fire as you launch off of it and what do you know they do! 

462f45293bf5f128b9ce5eaaac50b25b.jpg (laser hoops)

Nicasio-Leong-Magdaraog-puts-some-finish 

(spring statue design)

Sonic-Colours-motobug!!.jpg

(the look the dash panels would give is something like this)

I couldn't fully flesh it out how my brain wanted, but I hope this can give you somewhat a feel of what the stage would be like.

EDIT: My pictures weren't allowed to be posted. hm. (not the drawn ones) never mind

Edited by Light The Hedgehog

Unfortunately Light you were past the deadline, and Kiddo and I already picked and announced winners earlier today. (It was during a Live cast that involved me playing Sonic 1 and 2 blindfolded.)

That being said, I am pleased to announce that Chaoscollector's Astral Heights won the "Stage that Tune" contest. Honestly though, I am pleased with everyone's performance with this contest. The idea was a little on the abstract side, but I'm glad everyone was able to understand and present their own variations of a level that fits "Sun Skip."

I would hope some day I might get to experience these levels in a playable form.

• Like 1

Woo! Thankyou very much! I'm glad you liked my stage and can't wait to play freedom planet! :D

I'm out of town at the moment so I couldn't watch the stream unfortunately! :( but this was certainly a pleasent suprise! :)

And well done to everyone who participated! I thought all the ideas were awesome! :)

I couldn't watch the stream because of timezones, let's hope that someone recorded it because I'd like to hear what everyone thought about the levels/special stages.