A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Game Start Up Speed [Game maker]

I was working on a project recently to give myself a break from Reboot and it was going well until the game started taking a while to start upon pressing "Run" / "Run in debug-mode" button(s). One thing before hand was that it had D&D, which I replace all of it with code, but it still takes a while to load up. Is this a problem with the actual game or... ? Because I was working on Reboot just yesterday and it has more code/sprites/assets but loads up a lot faster.

That depends...what version of GameMaker are you using? In my experience, with 7, it usually takes longer for me to start a game containing a lot of resources. It's sort of the same in Studio as well but that latter may be since I don't have a fast PC. Are you also using mp3s? In 7, they make the game take longer to load.

• 2 weeks later...

A few things I found that should help depcrease loading time:

Click off the "preload" on your sound files if they are not needed right away. It'll cause gamemaker to load them once they are needed rather than every single one. You'll want to preload sounds such as jumping and rolling, but sounds for rare events can be loaded after start up.

Save your sound effects at lower quality. Say if you're using genesis sounds, lower the sample rate to 11k and it'll save a bit of memory.

Try using ogg files for music rather than mp3 or wav.

Save your backgrounds, tiles, music in an external folder. Load them into a temp music/backgruond/tile file at the begining of the stage.

That should eliminate a huge load from your first start up. If you're still having a long wait, could be that your files are too large or condense your coding. Save a copy of your game and shut down a section at a time until it snaps back to a good speed.

Guest Mr Lange

Save your sound effects at lower quality. Say if you're using genesis sounds, lower the sample rate to 11k and it'll save a bit of memory.

All of the other advice in this post was good but for the love of god DO NOT do this. 11 khz is horrid quality, there is no good reason for it to be that low. I strongly recommend you never go below 22 khz for any of your audio.

Edited by Mr Lange

• 2 weeks later...

Okay is there any computer speed up programs, that are safe. I think my laptop might be part of the dilemma. Maybe. Because all there is are graphics, scripts, and objects. (and a room) and since I have no sound or anything, I'm wondering why it's taking so long to boot up.

Any help would be appreciated. Also "speed up program" I mean, something that cleans up temp files and such to speed up pc and stuff.

Thanks guys for any help.

Guest Mr Lange

CCleaner is your best bet, and you'd do good to combine that with Malwarebytes.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

CCleaner cleans up all kinds of junk files in the system, but make sure you go over the checklist, otherwise you may end up erasing things you don't want erased, like stored Firefox passwords. It can also look for bad registry entries and clean those, and force uninstall programs that don't have uninstallers. After a file cleanup, run the registry cleaner, then defrag.

I also recommend you run msconfig and read the list of programs that start on bootup and active services, and start removing anything that doesn't belong. Look up anything you're not sure about, or any programs that look suspicious.

Edited by Mr Lange
  • Like 1