A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

I need some help

Well, I have been working on my project and have run in to a couple of things I need to ask you...masters of game making.

First off, I am using the games factory because I refuse to use MMF. Its not that anything is wrong with it, But TGF is just more my style (newb).

1. Is there anyway to do paralax without using active objects as the ground?

2. I have a logo I made in Photoshop, how can I put it in my game without all the white around it?

3. How can I make a full screen mode without the frame rate droping?

4. How can I make it for when The player reaches the end of the level, The camera locks and they can fight the boss?

5. is there any good Tails follow tutorials besides the one on the tut's section?

Thanks In Advance

1) No. Unless you use MMF... so I guess you won't be having parralax then.

2) Disable the anti aliasing... or something. Thats all you can do really. Or manually remove it yourself but that will take ages.

3) I forget... I'll let someone else answer that one.

4) Use some special camera events that activate when Sonic is in a certain area or something. You don't have to have your camera event always be an always statement.

5) Not really. Just study those and make your own.

1) No. Unless you use MMF... so I guess you won't be having parralax then.

2) Disable the anti aliasing... or something. Thats all you can do really. Or manually remove it yourself but that will take ages.

3) I forget... I'll let someone else answer that one.

4) Use some special camera events that activate when Sonic is in a certain area or something. You don't have to have your camera event always be an always statement.

5) Not really. Just study those and make your own.

Thanks alot for the help ila, Now I hope #3 gets attention.

I remember doing things like that. Now I just got over my unliking of MMF's style and learned to like it.

BTW, for the camera locking thing, it can be something really simple like when you get to this position, turn on a flag and if the flag is on, set the camera position to where you want the boss battle to take place. After the battle, set the flag off and if it's off, set the camera position to Sonic.

3. How can I make a full screen mode without the frame rate droping?

I've attempted to find ways to make it full screen mode without dropping the frame rate. What's strange is it's everything is slow when you make it full screen, but once you set the game to machine independent, everything gets too fast(Well, IMO). Either too slow or fast. I recommend that if you're REALLY desperate to do full screen mode, then make it machine independent. Otherwise, don't do it. Anyways, have any of you ever played Mario 3:Bowser Strikes Back. It's a simple Mario fan game in which you play as Bowser Jr. The game was made from TGF, full screen, and amazingly, everything was at normal speed. Apparently, the creator(I think it's something like Fabian Gross) decided to make it full screen and change all the animation sequence speeds and movement speeds. So there's another way you can make the game at full screen mode.

I hope I've helped in some way. :)

2. I have a logo I made in Photoshop, how can I put it in my game without all the white around it?

Make the background color transparent.

Use Photoshop's Save for web feature and save it as 24-bit PNG with transparency.

Open the PNG in Microsoft Paint

Fill the background with black

Copy the image to the clipboard

Paste it in TGF. I think this will work.

Make the background color transparent.

Use Photoshop's Save for web feature and save it as 24-bit PNG with transparency.

Open the PNG in Microsoft Paint

Fill the background with black

Copy the image to the clipboard

Paste it in TGF. I think this will work.

I'm not sure if this will work, since 24-bit PNGs with transparency are actually 32-bit PNGs, with 256 alpha levels.... So you'll end up having a black/grey/white background when MSPaint opens it, since it can't deal with transparency.

The easiest way is to save it as GIF or PNG-8. If it has too many colors for it, you'll need to hide the background layer, select all and press Ctrl+Shift+C (Copy Merged).... Then you'll need to paste it on a new file(with a transparent background), use the Magic Wand tool, with the antialias/softening and the "adjacent" options (not sure on how is this called on the english version, since my photoshop is in portuguese) turned off, select the transparent area and delete it... then you can copy it into MMF without the anti-alias "border".