A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Can't play old fan games

Not sure where else to post or what other keywords to search for, but i wanted to play Sonic Boom and some of the other old/hall of mis-fame games for nostalgia. but using a Dell Windows 7 to play some Windows 95 games just doesnt work. I've even tried the various compatibility settings but it doesnt make a difference. is there perhaps a step i'm missing or would i need to move the files to an old computer?

thanks for any help you might have and apologies if this is the wrong forum

Klik and Play executables are 16-bit, I think.

If you want to play them, use a 32-bit windows 7 installation.

Also, make sure you have the KnP DLL files, they're KNP<something>.dll, if I remember correctly.

Moving thread to fangame assistance.

Klik & Play games are indeed 16-bit applications, and 16-bit app support is not included in 64-bit versions of Windows because it'd be like an onion of bizzare code (WOW64 emulating 32-bit Windows to run NTVDM emulating 16-bit MS-DOS running fake Windows 3.1 running the game...)

To play old KnP games without resorting to VirtualPC or VMWare to virtualize a 32-bit or 16-bit Windows installation, open the .GAM file in TGF, CnC, or MMFE. Now you can play the game with minimal errors! (You could try MMF2 or CF2.5, but it might break violently. YMMV)

And despite all of that "no DOS in windoze guys!" stuff, you still can't create a CON folder in Windows... it already is an onion of bizzare code.

Unless you use the obscure cmd network path trick, creating a directory that works completely fine for most new applications, but obviously doesn't in old DOS ones. Also handy to immunize flashdrives! (just create an autorun.inf folder containing the offending folders CON, COM1, PRN and whatever, so that viruses can't replace it that easily!)

And that's that...

So yeah, go find a 32 bit windows version or just get TGF/MFX.

Since KnP games are all open (no protection, whoohoo), we should just rebuild them on MMF for improved compatibility. MMF2.0 is the highest I think we should use, since CF2.5 nukes all compatibility, except for XP SP3.