A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Axiom extra content preview demo.

vexer

Hi this is a demo of one of the 3 bonus single act levels am going to be adding to Sonic Axiom.  some of these were levels I was going to have in the game originally but scrapped. I will also be adding one extra full world,bonus extra players and have made numerous graphical and other improvements.  As you can see from the picture it is a revised version of Botanic Base zone, my favourite level from Knuckles Chaotix.

bb_zps8ff33f03.png

here is the link:

https://www.mediafire.com/?5yca5y9c014uo7t

• Like 2

I am using an older version of World's ( whatever was current when I first started working on it), but I have copied things from newer versions and added it to mine.  As for the pole it is similer to a basic hanging bar where you set your floatX to the X position of the pole.  Then you add to the y speed to make the player go down and the player jumps left or right depending on what frame of the animation is playing.

• 7 months later...

I did not find out about this demo until recently, but I wanted to say I'm really glad to hear you're working on an improved version of Sonic Axiom. The original game had some of the best level design and most consistent art direction of any completed Sonic fangame out there, but there was one weird issue that plegued the original game compared to some other completed Sonic fangames. That problem was animation fluidity. Some of the enemies, hazards, and bosses felt like they were lacking frames which at times gave the game more of an amatuerish look as opposed to something that looked more professional and polished. I really hope the improved version of this game fixes those issues, as it was clearly the game's biggest problem.

As for my thoughts on the demo, you did a really nice job with the new animations and level itself looks really nice, but I reccomend improving the level's background. The background art diminishes in appearance the further down you go in the level. My only concern with the added content is having four acts to a zone it quite a lot for a Sonic game, so hopefully the additional acts will add enough variety to make them feel like a worthy addition. I felt the original game with its act structure struck a good balance where you got a lot of each zone, but you're not in each zone for so long that the level starts to lose its appeal.

Edit-

Another suggestion is improving the boss fights. With the game's current version, I don't feel the bosses are one of the game's biggest highlights and they could use some improvements to make them more enjoyable. I find them fun, but they could use additional polish. Also, any chance Sonic's insta-shield and elemental abilities from elemental shields will be added to the game in the future? The insta-shield alone would be a nice addition.

Edited by W.A.C.

@LakeFeperd you sure you posted this on the right thread? I'm downloading the beta anyway, but it's kind of odd that your post isn't at your Spark thread.

EDIT: nevermind. Now this post is irrelevant. I don't mind if this post gets deleted though.

Edited by Plom510