A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Worlds- overhaulling

Hi there everyone.

A couple of years ago I attempted to make a sonic fangame to get some experience and show my passion for video games to get into college. Well Im finally in and of course I showed it to my tutour. He liked it, loved it in fact but the one thing he said which really got me thinking was " why havent you taken that engine and made your own original game?"

So here we are. I want to take the worlds engine and reporpose it for its own thing, much like Freedom Planet did. Im planning something simillar to Kid Chamelon. For those who dont know, Kid chamelon was a platformer on the megadrive. Throughout the levels players would find maks that when picked up, would change the player into another character with new abillities. When the transformed character ran out of hp, they would revert to the default character (the Kid) and when he ran out of HP the player would die.

Its a simple concept but I have no idea how to go about changing the worlds engine to suit my needs, Every attempt I have made seems to go wrong. I was able to implement a HP bar for the default character and also a character change object, Proble is when I change character, the new character is invincible. I tried to fix thatt but when I did, the default character dies in 1 hit. I think it was tied to the rings somehow, of course I dont need them but I would still like to have collectables in the game.

Theres also the matter of corrupt frames, Every time I try modifying a fresh Worlds File, after a while when I try reopening the file, I get a corrupted frame, always the one I modifed.

I hope someone can assist me in this, I really like worlds engine and would very much like to use it in this endevor.

Thanks for reading.

Worlds is extensively documented, so you should start with that. However, you also need some pretty solid understanding of MMF2 in order to fully understand how it works. If you still have trouble modifying Worlds to your needs, I heavily recommend building a project from scratch, and (if needed) manually port Worlds components to it. It can be a puzzle game, a platformer... Just something to get you started with how things work in Worlds.

As for the corrupted frame issue, that's pretty odd behaviour. Which version of MMF2 are you using, and which Worlds build?

I've considered doing that for a game I'm working on, but a few things made me decide NOT to:

Sonic is too complex for the simple platformer I'm going for.

Sonic Worlds is too complex and too sonic-oriented to work for the simple platformer I'm going for.

Sonic worlds is associated with the name sonic, which I doubted how that would go legally, since I plan on selling this game

I wanted to create my own engine for the experience anyways.

----------------------------------

If you want to, go right ahead, I mean it's worth a shot, and would be interesting to see succeed. I'm just saying it would actually be easier to create your own engine rather than edit worlds engine. I recently started making my own engine in MMF2: It's diverse enough that I've emulated both megaman and cave story physics, but it's too simple for a sonic game. I really like what I'm doing with it, everything is how I want it, it's easy, quick (I have 2 hours of work on it and I'm already decently far), and fun. Just change a few values and you have a completely new experience. In fact, my engine is "Based" off worlds. I dunno how to explain that, but here's a screenie that will explain for you:

opYkile.png

That's Cave story physics, btw. See how simple?

In conclusion: Do what you want it's up to you, although I think it would be better to make your own engine.

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll look into building a new engine from scratch with worlds as a "base". I wanted to try avoid coding as much as possible since I have no real experience but thats what really makes a game shine. That said I would still like a reason for why my frames are getting corrupted, thats what really irks me the most. Id hate to put hours into building a new engine only for the next time I open it up, to be effectively told "you wasted your time! Trololol :D"

Im on windows 7 if that helps, worlds 0.5 and MMF2 V2.

Worlds 0.5 is incredibly out of date. Worlds Delta 1.4.2 is the current version (and a lot less buggy).

Also, MMF2 V2 doesn't say much (what build number? It tells you when you start it up)... and it doesn't really matter what version of Windows you're using.

If you have no idea how to program, you're going to need to learn how to program before you can use Worlds in any sort of manner. MMF2 is very very easy to learn with its event-based programming system... but you still need to learn how it works. I suggest you read the help file, check out the examples that came with your copy of MMF2, and try making some smaller, simpler games first. That way, you get an idea as to how MMF2 works, and how you can use it to make a game, so you won't be hitting walls trying to use something more advanced like Worlds.

Edited by Techokami

Yeah, I meant your MMF2 build. If you update it, you'll be able to use the newer Worlds Delta.

Also, there's a pretty good tutorial made by Damizean that has 360º movement by itself, with no other mechanisms at all. I find it extremely useful as a preliminary tool before using Worlds. However, if you still don't get around MMF2 that easily, check other simpler tutorials first.

I'll look for this base engine I mentioned and put it up later.