A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

How would Sonic work in co op?

Basically, how do you think Sonic would be in 4 player multiplayer, á la SM3DW? I think that it could work pretty well if they stick with his Lost World speed and use Tails, Knuckles and Amy. Sonic would be the fastest and could homing attack and spindash, Tails could fly and reach certain areas that others can't, Knuckles could break through walls and take down tougher enemies with ease, as well as glide and climb walls, while Amy could take advantage of her hammer high jump, use her hammer to activate certain switches which no one else can and take down tough enemies with just a little less ease than Knuckles.

But how do you think it would work?

Amy should be weaker than Knux no mater what. But on a serious note I think it'd work well as long as each character/player gets their own screen. And for offline it should be well maybe one screen to mentally make you feel like. Oh yea teamwork! Knuckles and Tails should have weaker spindashes or their trademark punch and tail attacks. I'd actually like it!

I've always liked the idea. Sonic 2 co-op is always fun but... on one screen it sucked. If you make it split-screen or online play, then it'd be epic. Should prolly throw in character specific obstacles so people don't just run off without their friend (hopefully if they're friends they'll be messing around together anyway, instead of running off). The end zone where bosses are should have a wait thingy so that it only initiates when all players are there. I've always wanted to put such a concept in to my own game (COMING SOON (whenever I have time to make it (probably in about 30 years time))).

Oh hey there ChaosLord, long time no see.

Anyway, in my opinion, co-op could work if done like the multiplayer from Sonic Lost World (with the gameplay as well) and plently of character specific route that can allow the players to go certain ways, like having Knuckles break some stones and allowing another character to do something in that route. (I don't know if I got the idea out correctly.)

Edited by Jassbec

Because we're Sonic Heroes?

No lie I'd like that. Each character controlling one type, so we don't have Sonic 06's tag mode. A speed, flight, power, and... special type(s). Of course unlike heroes it wouldn't be mandatory to have each because if you only have two people that'd suck. But if like each character could open up different ways for a run through. Sonic could parkour and hit a switch or somethin. Knuckles could break rocks. Silver could lift objects to higher routes almost like a moving platform but you'd have to move it with sykokenesis. Shadow could chaos control through walls SPECIFIC to him so no teleporting through every wall cause' that's dumb and game breaking. I really think that'd be awesome.

Posted on mobile.

Oh hey there ChaosLord, long time no see.

Anyway, in my opinion, co-op could work if done like the multiplayer from Sonic Lost World (with the gameplay as well) and plently of character specific route that can allow the players to go certain ways, like having Knuckles break some stones and allowing another character to do something in that route. (I don't know if I got the idea out correctly.)

Hey hey, old buddy!

I get the idea about the character specific obstacles but wouldn't character specific ROUTES force people to split up? It'd be more of a race than a co-op. Unless I read that wrong... Anyway, yeah, character specific obstacles = must have. HOWEVER, it means you'd have to make a route for every character combination. What if Sonic and Tails went in and a route required Sonic and Knuckles? You'd have to make a Sonic and Tails route too. But then what about a Sonic and Amy combo? Or a Tails and Knuckles combo? etcetc. I mean, you could make routes for single characters (e.g. you only require Knuckles) but then the other player would have no use.

THUS, the inverse alternative: Obstacles that can be over come by ALL characters, EXCEPT ONE. That way, you can have as little as ONE route and as long as both (or however many there are) players are different characters, everyone can play a part and the route is always solvable. So basically, you'd encounter an obstacle like a chasm or something and if you're Sonic, you're all "I can't jump this..." but if you have any other character, they'll have a way to cross it (Tails flies, Knuckles glides etc). Each obstacle exploits a weakness in one character. However, this might make it a little boring since every route will have pretty much the same progression. Therefore, I think you'd have to make it so the ENTRANCE to each route can only be opened by one character so only a team with a certain character can access certain routes and some obstacles along the way require them more (however, then that person does more work than the others... maybe later it checks which routes you've taken and FORCES you to not take that character's route in the future, so everyone gets a chance to be the main character?)

So basically it's a fight between: Varying Routes but LOTS of them so it takes ages to make a level... or Similar Routes but less time to make them (or improve it by making it force other characters to enter the limelight).

Because we're Sonic Heroes?

No lie I'd like that. Each character controlling one type, so we don't have Sonic 06's tag mode. A speed, flight, power, and... special type(s). Of course unlike heroes it wouldn't be mandatory to have each because if you only have two people that'd suck. But if like each character could open up different ways for a run through. Sonic could parkour and hit a switch or somethin. Knuckles could break rocks. Silver could lift objects to higher routes almost like a moving platform but you'd have to move it with sykokenesis. Shadow could chaos control through walls SPECIFIC to him so no teleporting through every wall cause' that's dumb and game breaking. I really think that'd be awesome.

Posted on mobile.

So yeah, on the routes than can only be accessed using certain characters, it'd be like this, which could make the 'similar route' thing work to an extent (however it'd still be pretty repetitive... but save a lot of development time).

I meant that character specific routes lead to something like a switch that allows the players to progress, for example, Tails reaches a high platform and presses a switch, then allows Sonic to use a grind rail and reaches another switch allowing Tails to progress, then a combo exclusive route because you used those character and then that makes Sonic grab on to Tails and go over a pit. Imagine S4E2 in 3D with the ability to change your partner and combo abilities. also this sounds more like a path

Ah, k, that makes sense. So it like, temporarily splits them up with the individual routes and their separate routes affect their partner's route that allows the other character to progress, and then they meet up at the end. Schweet.

Edited by ChaosLord

I kinda feel that, unless it was used infrequently it'd be a bore. "Oh shoot can't use mah axwesome tag moves until we get through this long switch path again." And once again it reminds me of 06 because if one path is affected by another's switch. Then player must stand on switch until other finishes their platforming segment then vice-versa. And if said player sucks your stuck waiting for your door to be open. Which obviously if planned right can be overcame but I still feel it'd end up like that.

So if you add rather than segments switches, more like say there's a room were Knuckles bust a door open Sonic triangle jumps or something anf hits a switch that emits a platform segment in which knuckles and company can cross the casm. Unless that's what you meant.

I don't know... my idea is exactly the same I just realized. Hmmm

EDIT: Or! Like Little big planet-- Fuuuuuu its the same also.. okay maybe like a trampoline where you need enough weight/characters to bounce high enough. This is quite the topic..

Edited by LightTheHedgehogInSnowZone