A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[Help] Palette Changing

So...

I'm trying to make metal sonic and mighty flash when in their super forms, like tails and knuckles.

I've tried copying the code for all of the palette changing side by side, and fitting it exactly to metal sonic/mighty.

But it's not working.

The most I've done from tinkering around to try and fix it is making metal sonic almost 90% grey.

Any ideas?

I'm willing to send the .mfa over if need be

Sounds like a problem in the palette objects... From what I know, each square in them should be 4x4 (since PaletteScale is 4), the columns organized from darker to lighter and the first column of colors in it should be exactly the colors of the character.

Try comparing the code to the original to see if you missed something about it works. Also, I'm not too sure on this, but it seems more fps-friendly if, once it works, you set it up to the game only activates the palette cycle for the current character.

Sounds like a problem in the palette objects... From what I know, each square in them should be 4x4 (since PaletteScale is 4), the columns organized from darker to lighter and the first column of colors in it should be exactly the colors of the character.

Try comparing the code to the original to see if you missed something about it works. Also, I'm not too sure on this, but it seems more fps-friendly if, once it works, you set it up to the game only activates the palette cycle for the current character.

I wasn't sure how you were supposed to organize the palettes when i first tried, and I did this:

iQLnYHJ.png

I can GARUNTEE I'm wrong, because I'm colorblind and I SUCK with colors.

Can you organize that properly?

Here is the sprite I'm using:

WI281Z4.png

Also I was considering making metal sonic flash yellow, like super sonic.

This is the palette I would use:

DAwp9Lt.png

That's the palette worlds uses for super sonic.

Thanks for helping, btw

[qimg]http://sonicunited.org/hsfqmtif/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1652&stc=1&d=1378176819[/qimg]

Hi. The left column was Metal's blue shades alright. I edited the other three for consistency. Now you should see if the code really is comparing the first column with the colors of Metal's sprite copies and then exchanging it for the other ones.

That Super Sonic palette is ok to use too, I guess.

The attachment was broken, but I actually managed to work it out.

I figured out what was wrong:

In the global values, metal sonic is 4, since he is the 5th character I created. (sonic is 0)

In the global values, mighty is character 3, since he is the 4th character created.

For some weird reason, when I was making mighty and metal, something happened where the character value for Player_MovementValues got switched, so metal sonics value was 3, and mighty's was 4.

When I duplicated the palette code, I put mighty's value in instead of metals, and I didn't realise it.

It works beautifully now, thanks for the help :)