A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Anybody up for some Doom 2 death matches?

Betaman

Yes, you just read that correctly. I'm talking about Doom 2, that old as heck FPS game from the 1990's, miraculously kept alive all these years by source ports such as ZDoom and Skulltag.

I bring this up because I recently came across an old copy of Doom 2 that my cousin gave to me when I was like 10. After much annoyance, I was able to extract the WAD so I could use it for Skulltag, and pretty soon I was making PWADS for death matches. There's one problem though: I'm sick of playing against the stupid and uninteresting bots, I can't find any servers to join, and I'm just sitting on a server that I originally made for a private party, but the other members backed out.

So that's where you guys come in: Would you like to join me on my server and maybe spend some quality time trying to blow each other into bloody little chunks with a BFG?

Important information for those interested in playing:

Name of the server (As of now): SFGHQ Community Mosh Pit

The server's IP:

• 192.168.1.5:10666

Requirements for joining:

• Skulltag
  • Doom 2 IWAD(Seriously, it's 2 bucks on Steam)
  • Whatever PWAD the server's using. (If there's no other way to get it, the PWAD will be provided, but in most cases I would like to use a common or easy to obtain PWAD.)

[A PWAD is a secondary WAD file that is added onto the IWAD in order for modifications to be used. If it breaks the rules, I will NOT provide PWADS.]

Other information:

• I don't want to/possibly won't be able to host the server 24/7, because it's being run from my personal computer, and not a website. I want to say that game sessions should take place once or twice a week, and every time the server is up, the gameplay mode will change based on a vote from everyone involved that game. (See below for more details on this)
  • Twenty people will normally be allowed on at one time, whether spectating or playing themselves. (Which would not be abnormal considering this is more than the usual amount of people logged into the forums on an average day.)

Any game mode is allowed, and the game mode for each session will be selected by players voting for one of two options. (The game modes will change each week.)

I don't know if you guys would be up for it. Heck, I don't know if anyone on here has even played Doom 2. (Other than Overbound, because I asked him for the O K before I posted this.) Still though, I thought it'd be a nice gesture to invite the community to come down once or twice a week and kill each other in an obsolete video game.

Anyway, if you're interested, please respond and maybe I can work out what day(s) of the week would be best for a few matches.

Sweet! I've been doing some Sonic themed Death match maps because I thought it would be a fun little thing for the community. The wad graphics aren't really that special either, mostly just updating the Hellish textures to also look somewhat Sonic related. (Sonic in Hell, isn't that fun?)

Okay well I guess it's going to have a slow start. Would Friday be a good date for anyone interested in playing?

Also, I'm at a loss for what Sonic levels would translate well into DOOM 2. I have a Marble Zone map based off of an odd picture that I found on Google images and I have the first 3rd of Green Grove Zone Act 2.

To be fairly honest, neither are very good maps.

Ah well, it's not like making the levels Sonic themed are that big a deal. I do have a rough idea for seasonal stuff though, should this get more people involved.

And Duckboy, I hope you enjoy that CD.