A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The official SFGHQ E3 2013 discussion thread

Just the fact that he can grab any projectile and throw it back looks really easy to abuse, especially since we haven't seen any repercussions of doing so. (Like taking damage each time you do it, or for as long as you're holding onto the object, ect. ect.)

As another of my (relatively) Smash-savvy friends told me, he looks like a setup character. If allowed to live long enough, and played by someone with skill, he can kill people pretty easily. The thing we both noticed though, was that most of his shown attacks seem to have considerable start-up times.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just the fact that he can grab any projectile and throw it back looks really easy to abuse, especially since we haven't seen any repercussions of doing so.

Yeah, it's extremely broken. Thats why Game and Watch is SSS-Tier and banned forever

Oh come on. Am I the only one who doesn't hate Brawl for not being a carbon-copy of Melee? It's not even like competitive play is impossible in Brawl, it's still totally possible. You say the game is slower? I've never noticed unless I was trying to notice. Point is you're being a bit too critical, you're looking for problems because for some unfathomable reason you want problems to be there.

Like i said above, I don't want another useless practice mode. Brawl's gameplay was 100% defensive and anti-skillful. The game literallly punished you for winning. It didn't offer any deeper offensive techniques to experiment with or use against your opponent. It was just a game of tag. Saying im digging for problems because you dont understand what im talking about doesn't make much sense.

Brawl+/ProjectM are great games though, but my point is that none of the changes were necessary. Most brawl players probably couldn't even tell the difference between Project M and Brawl if you were to randomly boot it up one day on their console.

Oh come on. Am I the only one who doesn't hate Brawl for not being a carbon-copy of Melee? It's not even like competitive play is impossible in Brawl, it's still totally possible. You say the game is slower? I've never noticed unless I was trying to notice. Point is you're being a bit too critical, you're looking for problems because for some unfathomable reason you want problems to be there.

A bit too critical? Trying to deliberately find issues? No, you have no fucking idea what you're talking about. The complete lack of hitstun and horribly floaty physics in particular stand out as a major step down from Melee, and the combat mechanics in Melee had much more depth that I enjoyed trying to master ('cept lag cancelling, that sucked) I'm not gonna lie, I prefer Brawl over Melee, mainly because it always felt kind of stiff and clunky to me, but trying to say these issues aren't there when they clearly are is just silly.

Also this game had better have a directional air dodge. srsly

It doesn't have directional air dodge. They probably removed it so they could also remove its special fall to allow you to dodge more than once in the air.

Edit:

I'd just like to point out, I was completely wrong about this generation of console graphics not being significant.

There's a rumor floating around that any xbone demos that were playing weren't actually from teh console but on souped up pc's running with nvidia titan gfx cards. They have some pictures of them opening up the cabinets and you can see pc's inside.

If it's true, that's just the icing on the cake at how badly microsoft has turned.

Not a rumor - a journalist tweeted that his demo crashed to a Win 7 (not 8! hahahahah) desktop. Then again, it's software that is being developed, so it makes sense. Both Xbone and PS4 are x86 based, anyway.

But that's not all. Every single day something worse comes out. First the whole countries thing, then the WE HAVE A SYSTEM FOR THOSE WITHOUT INTERNET, and then there's this:

http://www.dewanddoritos.com

I know the site says MS isn't organizing this, but it's still hilarious. I can't stop laughing.

Anyway, fighting games sure are serious business. Geez.

I prefer Melee, but if someone wants to play Brawl, that's okay. I never cared too much about Smash - it's fine for a quick burst but I just want to play, not discuss stuns and slides and knockbacks or whatever. New game doesn't attract me in the slightest (lol wii fit trainer), but I'm more interested in X, Kart 8 and Mario.

I guess I fail to see the uproar over the whole demos running on PCs thing. I thought this was a fairly common during console launches with games/demos/e3 presentations running off a pc dev machine or something? Its been a long time since the last console launch though so I can't remember.

As I previously said, it's pretty much that. Considering the fact that the system is now x86 it makes even more sense. The only thing I can nitpick a bit is why they didn't use their so-awesome (not) Windows 8 for it.

In the end, that's nothing compared to the rest of the 1984-box - and since I'm not from Brazil, I'm fucked if I want to play it. Good thing I don't want to :]

There's a rumor floating around that any xbone demos that were playing weren't actually from teh console but on souped up pc's running with nvidia titan gfx cards. They have some pictures of them opening up the cabinets and you can see pc's inside.

If it's true, that's just the icing on the cake at how badly microsoft has turned.

Yeah, I saw that on tumblr last night, too. I have no idea if this makes it any more or less legit, but they did link to this.

I guess I fail to see the uproar over the whole demos running on PCs thing. I thought this was a fairly common during console launches with games/demos/e3 presentations running off a pc dev machine or something? Its been a long time since the last console launch though so I can't remember.

It's not that, it's the fact that if what I was reading is correct (titan gfx cards) that's not even what either system are running with natively, those cards are leaps and bounds better than what the system will have. I think it's a very deceptive practice, OH LOOK AT THESE GRAPHICS! and when you get the system you're let down by some much less pretty looking stuff.

Those titan cards are monsters, not to mention the xbone and ps4 will be using custom ATI cards, not nVidia

Well, that's part of the trick. It's normally "show pre-rendered bullshit + real game is nothing like it".

In this case is "show rendering stuff with a top-notch system + real game is nothing like it".

Not too different.

Anyway, I hope the xbone crashes and burns to a crisp.

Kojima definitely came out and said "MGS5 final will look better on next-gen than it does in this E3 trailer" and "this trailer was more geared towards current gen", which i find to be complete bullshit but I really don't know anymore. And IMO it was the most impressive looking title there bar none. Square also said FFXV is being developed on PC first before being switched to respective consoles. Playing E3 demos on PC hardware is actually pretty common imo.

I think the more hilarious MS screwup that nobody seems to remember though, is during the Microsoft conference, one of the teams showing off their game was playing the demo with Microsoft Glass and a PS4 Remote.

It's the kind of thing that wouldn't matter normally, because you'd like to give the gamers testing your games a perfect experience with the demos. Especially for a brand new system that they are likely still ironing out the kinks on, I don't think normally people would throw as much of a fit about the games not actually being played on the console itself.

However Microsoft made so many boneheaded mistakes during the conference that this is just another layer of their shit sundae that they probably should have tried a little bit harder to hide. With the way the system is supposed to work, I can't see how it'd have worked at E3 anyway. Not to mention all the twitter XBOX support responses on twitter that just make you throw your hands up in the air. The horrible DRM, the online checks every 24 hours or 1 hour at a friend's house, the really strict region locking, telling people in the military to essentially eat shit and just keep playing the XBOX and you can just play the Xbox One when you get home, not having any really good exclusives, pulling out of pretty much all interviews, etc. It all just kind of piles on and this thing with the games not actually being played on the Xbones themselves just makes it worse for them.

XOne's PR has been absolutely horrid. The PS3's was bad too, but this is just terrible.

If it wasn't for all the other dumb shit and Sony's way superior E3 presence, I'd say all this stuff probably wouldnt even matter in the long run. But something tells me Xbox One is about to have a really rough start.

Well, Microsoft has done a complete 180 on the DRM policies now. So hooray for Rawr I guess.

I'm still not going anywhere near the console, it's just too late now. This generation I had to deal with the RROD and terrible Live service, and everything up until this very point has just been complete bullshit from microsoft.

PS4 still $100 cheaper, with a cheaper network service, and a more believable PR angle.

Dat damage control.

So no bullshit 24 hour checks, and regular disc usage. OK. Digital games keep the same system... but Kinect is still a requirement.

Looks a bit better now, at least. Hopefully it means most of those COD and Madden kiddies will stay on XBL.

Also an achievement for getting the day one console is still fucking dumb.

Well, Microsoft has done a complete 180 on the DRM policies now. So hooray for Rawr I guess.

Fuck yeah. I am still going PS4 first, but this totally eases any concern I have about getting the console at some point down the road (aka when Halo launches and I'll just get what I missed in the interim after the fact). PS4 is still more appealing to me right off the bat though, and I'm not about to go GOOD JOB MICROSOFT OMG because they shouldn't have been pulling that shit anyway but I -knew- they were not just gonna sit there and let Sony shit all over them by not changing a thing and continue to let gamers hate on them. Companies don't care about us one bit, but they do care about their wallets and frankly all the negativity regarding their policies would have hurt them big time.

I did see games I wanted on the One, so this is great news for me basically.

OMG because they shouldn't have been pulling that shit anyway but I -knew- they were not just gonna sit there and let Sony shit all over them by not changing a thing and continue to let gamers hate on them.

Yeah I felt this way too. The little joke sony pulled with the used games tutorial just showed how confident they were about the depth of the trench MS was sinking into. I have no delusions here about the 2 companies, they're both definitely out for money. I just have more respect for Sony for being more compromising about the approach.

Microsoft's indifference to the matter is really what pissed me off more than anything. I knew they would let up on SOMETHING, I didn't expect them to reverse all of their DRM policies though.

I can't help but laugh at those who were defending the "10 person family" system that's now gutted.

Even if it did work with 9 random people across the country, only one of them being able to use it a time would defeat the purpose.

For now, at least it means that it will be possible to play XBone games in the future (assuming the games in question don't need that cloud bullshit AND the console has been initialized with the day-one update at least).

This means a lot for gaming archival... so it's a very good move. Still don't like the Kinect being shoehorned into the system, though.

I got a PS2 in '08, Wii in '09, and a PS3 this year - and still have a backlog for all of them. I won't be getting any of the 8th gen systems just yet. Next up: Dragon's Crown this August *drools*