A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Origins-Robotnik [Eggstremely WIP]

Hey everybody!

I know I only joined last night but I've been wanting to do this game since I signed up to Sonic Retro. I have all my concepts in words but I haven't made a drawing I've been able to show as of yet (I can't find my graphics tablet pen!) but they will be coming in about 2 weeks.

I still need-

A programmer

A level designer/artist

Musicians?

I'm not sure about musicians as I don't want to have to delay the fan game and I already have most of the music concepts.

Anyway, the plot of the story focuses on how Sonic and Eggm-I mean Robotnik, first met. Oh, big plot point-Robotnik is truly good. As well as how the pair met it also explains:

Why/how Robotnik is evil

How Sonic got the Tornado

Badniks (?)

So, I'll leave you with the level list for now:

Floral Forest

Downstream Dash

Moonlight Mansion

Airspace Assault (Sky Chase-esque level)

Airship Attack (Wing Fortress-esque level)

Sunken Speedway

Rocket Raceway

Final Fight (Maybe Final Field?)

P.S.: Off topic but can someone merge my account to that of InfinityAlex under that name? I tried to register under that name but the confirmation email wouldn't send.

You should learn how to program yourself, or at least do something other than being the "idea guy". You also need something to show when you're making a topic. A topic without anything to show of it will most likely get locked. It would be advisable to read the rules located in the sticky section of the forum.

You don't need anyone else if you're that dedicated to the game.

Look at LakeFeperd; the guy has pumped out some amazing fangames all on his own. Did practically everything himself, all it took was hard work and determination.

At no point did he make a topic saying "yo who wants to make my fangame for me?".

If he can make a blazing game, there's no reason why you can't.

Just think, if you were a talented programmer/artist/musician or whatnot; would YOU want to work on a game where the lead guy does nothing but come up with ideas?

The reason I'm asking for a programmer is because I have, in fact, tried to program this game myself but when creating the levels I somehow always come across a critical problem-Sonic will go permanently into rolling mode and the player has no control over him. I do intend to make the cutscenes and write the story's script (Robotnik will talk, but probably only in text). As I've said before, I may or may not have sorted the music. I definitely have concepts but I will probably end up doing covers of existing music myself.

I do realise where your coming from but anytime I try to teach myself I just end up cofusing myself. I will have a real, working part in this project but a programmer and level tile artist is something I will need.

I will come up with something to show you but I just need some more time. The wait will be worth it, I promise.

Sonic Worlds 0.5

Also, I'm in need of a little advice right now. I'm wondering whether to keep the spindash in the game as there was no real reason it just popped up in Sonic 2 apart from someone thought of it. However, it may reduce nostalgia?

Sounds pathetic but I've played Sonic 1 with a spindash and it just doesn't feel the same. It's too easy.

That said, if I do get a programmer I'll leave the desicion up to them.

(Level Mockups coming tommorow, by the way!)

You wont be getting a programmer.

If someone wanted to program a Sonic Game they would just make there own and find people to do Graphics/Music or in cases like LakeFepard they'll make just about everything on there own.

As a musician myself you'd be surprised how many people I get on YouTube asking if I'll make music for there fan game and they've got nothing but concepts. Without a playable demo at the very least, people wont want top work on your game with you.

If you want help finding an engine and tips on programming for yourself the people here are always happy to help another. I forgot the name of the thread but there's a general post your technical questions somewhere I think.

I'd go find yourself an engine (Try different ones to see which one your most comfortable with), Design some concepts for your first level then get into making some actual Sprite work and slowly start the road to development.

After you've got a stable demo with at least a first fully playable level then maybe go looking for people to come join your team.

309x323px-LL-15741916_facepalm.jpeg

Did you even read my earlier post? I can't program. I don't even know how to transition from Act 1 to Act 2. I don't mean to be rude but I can't build a playable demo due to that crippling problem. I'd try out other Worlds builds but I don't know what extensions I need for them. If a programmer wants to make a game he will make his own? Just because someone's a programmer doesn't mean they won't help someone making their game. Just because someone you need happens to have a key role it doesn't mean you won't be getting them. I appreciate what you're telling me but I think you are being a bit...cynical?

That said, I'll try to do something with Delta.

https://sites.google.com/site/sonicworldsguide/act-4

Just read it, there i wrote some of the reasons why everybody should work alone on their fan games and why so many fan games fail.

Also, there are possible solutions to problems you'll face in sonic worlds.

Anyway, when i was just starting working on BTS i didn't know how to program too. what you have to do is just explore and pushing yourself and one year afterwars: i had a whole game done.

And hey, if you need somebody to do the programing, level design and art for you, what are you going to do? =P

Story? If so, i heard there's a lot of really good fan fiction floating in the web. (no sarcasm, just like the's good and bad fan games, there should be good and bad fan fiction)

[qimg]http://cdn.head-fi.org/1/15/309x323px-LL-15741916_facepalm.jpeg[/qimg]

Did you even read my earlier post? I can't program. I don't even know how to transition from Act 1 to Act 2. I don't mean to be rude but I can't build a playable demo due to that crippling problem. I'd try out other Worlds builds but I don't know what extensions I need for them. If a programmer wants to make a game he will make his own? Just because someone's a programmer doesn't mean they won't help someone making their game. Just because someone you need happens to have a key role it doesn't mean you won't be getting them. I appreciate what you're telling me but I think you are being a bit...cynical?

That said, I'll try to do something with Delta.

Bro, if you can't program, then you have no business directing a project like this in my honest opinion. The way I see it, a director of a project should know at least some moderate knowledge of the many things they oversee and manage. (After all, how can you expect to tell a programmer exactly what you want if you can't use the jargon and know what you're talking about?)

On top of all that, a director should also be doing the core of the work, with the rest of the team adding in things the director is either too busy to do or cannot possibly do with the time he has.

I realize I'm coming off as a rude git here, but I've seen way too many request threads in the time I've spent trying to be a better programmer and it's only been recently that I've realized what it takes to actually be a good head of a project.

Tl;dr

You have got to learn how to do the things you want done before you can come in here and request "hired" help.

Everyone has pretty much already said what needs to be done, but in general: we do not accept recruitment threads here unless you have an actual tangible project.

Good luck on your future endeavors, and might I suggest trying the assistance and Sonic Worlds forums to get you started.

*thread closed*