A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Question on sprite size.

Now forgive me if this is a very silly noob question. I did try looking up the question on Google & this forum first, but I did not come across a real answer.

So what I'd like to know is, What is the max size/how tall can sprites get in MMF2? Somebody I personally asked said for playable characters I should not try to go taller then x2 the size of classic Sonic from Sonic1.

What I want to do is HD sprites for my future games but I been unsure of what engine I'll need for it. I liked the sound of how easy Sonic worlds + MMF2 is but I hear it can't handle big graphics very well which is a shame for me. I know visuals may not be important to a lot of gamers, but as a artist & art lover I really want to do HD sprites similar to games like Odin Sphere & Rayman legends do. except not as detailed of course. :P

By default, Sonic Worlds Delta works with active objects at the same scale as the original Genesis/Mega Drive games. You would have to manually scale the collision sensors and their positions relative to the player. I have no idea how big you can get animated active objects.

You would have to manually scale the collision sensors and their positions relative to the player.

That's fine. I'm ok with having to put extra work in a game if it means getting what I want. Not that I know how hard something like that would be yet. But surely it's possible anyways.

far as sprite size I think something around 3x the size of classic Sonic or more for the playable characters would be nice for me.

PS: Thanks for replying.

I think the max size for Actives is 32768x32768. (or maybe double that? Or was that the max frame size? Not sure...)

In any case, MMF2 is going to choke hard on something way smaller than that. Even Odin Sphere had severe slowdowns at times (at least in the NTSC version.)

3x the sonic sprites should be pretty fine, though.

Even Odin Sphere had severe slowdowns at times (at least in the NTSC version.)

Thanks for the info.

Well yes, I am aware of how the PS2 version of Odin Sphere had some slow down problems. Not that it would bother me to much. But that is one reason I wanted to know how MMF2 handles graphic sizes. I don't think i've seen HD sprite games made in MMF2 yet. which has me worried at how possible it actually is.

I just really want to find a good enough game-engine already so I can get started on learning to make my PC games. But been unsure where to turn to for my needs.

I think the max size for Actives is 32768x32768. (or maybe double that? Or was that the max frame size? Not sure...)

In any case, MMF2 is going to choke hard on something way smaller than that. Even Odin Sphere had severe slowdowns at times (at least in the NTSC version.)

In my experience, it chokes just running with 500 single pixel objects that have ring-like gravity going for them... It's kinda' stupid, but whatever. It's not often that such things happen anyway, so it's not a huge deal.

In my experience, it chokes just running with 500 single pixel objects that have ring-like gravity going for them...

Well yeah, calculating physics on 500 objects every frame at 60FPS is going to make the CPU choke unless you offload it to the GPU, like most modern games do. No, HWA doesn't automatically do that; it offloads the graphical rendering to the GPU, not any of the physics math. Unless someone is cooking up a CUDA or PhysX extension...