A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Neon

Hey everyone. I have returned to Sonic fangaming. I thought this would never happen but I have a substantial amount of time on my hands at the moment and wanted to do something enjoyable and productive. Sonic Neon represents my return. Running on the latest release of Sonic Worlds; Sonic Neon is a new and potentially innovative Sonic fangame with some original and new ideas. Sonic Neon sees Sonic thrust into a nocturnal cityscape where he must collect neon spheres of light. At least for the first zone. The objective is to collect every colour of the rainbow. Once every colour is collected something special and magical happens. I want to keep precisely what happens a secret until the demo release. Suffice to say it is something profound. So profound it represents a massive technical challenge to pull off in MMF2. I'm making decent progress with it and this feature should be available and active in time for the demo release.

Screenshots. Just a note here. These are very work in progress and subject to change.

p3wNO.png

P7Ryk.png

Xnr9X.png

The main objective and theme I'm going for here is a game to which the atmosphere is compelling and immersive. I want the player to be zoned in on the game when playing. In order to achieve this I feel that sound and music is of the imperative. In terms of the game's soundtrack the music I was thinking of going for is

I may use this track. I may choose another. I feel that this track conveys the type of emotion I'm going for. I've always believed that sound is super important to the type of feeling and emotion you get when playing a game. I truly want Sonic Neon to be a unique experience. Something different. Something memorable. There's obviously a long way to go here but I am confident that I can get a demo out. A demo quite soon.

That's everything for now. Thoughts and opinions?

PS: If you like the music I linked to I strongly

Not suited for a game but beautiful none the less.

Cross posting from Retro:

Progress continues though at a much slower pace. I'm focused and concentrating on reviving the Superhuman Kickstarter at the moment so there's not really been much time for Sonic Neon. I am determined however to push for a one level demo of this as "proof of concept". I really want you guys to be able to play this and see some of these ideas in action. The feedback I've received here (and to a certain extent on Sfghq) has been mostly positive and constructive. Graphics have never really been my strong point so I'm proud of the work I have created so far. I have been dreaming about this game for a long time and I want to focus my energy into actually producing and completing something as opposed to constantly visualising what the game could be. Overall you guys have been really positive and encouraging and I appreciate that. Once the Superhuman Kickstarter winds down I'll resume work on Sonic Neon. It's very enjoyable working on fangames and to be honest I forgot how enjoyable it actually was. I loved working on Sonic Neon's first level and producing those screenshots and have a feeling it will be the same when developing the demo.

TLDR: The Superhuman Kickstarter is dominating my time at the moment. Once the Kickstarter winds down Sonic Neon will resume development with a view to releasing a "proof of concept" demo in the near future. The demo will be released on Sfghq and Sonic Retro.

major edit.

I want to help, but I've been burnt out and pretty much stepped on in the past with the way I blindly help people. I need to go solo for a while. For neon, if you intend to make a full game, just do it. If you want a proof-of-concept, that's fine too but it means little if no one follows through with it. Good luck finding help...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...