A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

ila's annual favorite games list 2012 Edition

ila

So another year has passed when I've spent way too much money on video games and thus have a ridiculously hard time when it comes to making my list. Half the time I can't even remember what I played at the start of the year. That being said, I'll at least make an attempt to list my five favorite games this year.

In no particular order:

Style Savvy: Trendsetters (3DS)

Those familiar with me know that I have a certain attraction to rather odd games. Heck the first Style Savvy was one of my favorite games of 2009. Not much has really changed with this game. You run a clothing store, participate in fashion shows, and make yourself and others look pretty. I love it and I don't know why.

Borderlands 2 (PC)

Am I predictable? Yes I am. That being said Borderlands 2 has been one of the games I've sunk more time into this year than anything else. It's also one of the reasons why I'm thankful for the new computer that my friends put together for me last Christmas. Excellent writing balanced with just the right amount of humor (Think Portal 2) help bring together a solid first person shooter. Also great co-op fun, and I love co-op these days.

Persona 4: Golden (Vita)

This game really needs no explanation for anyone who knows me personally. Persona 4 is one of my all time favorite PS2 games, so logically a Vita remake with every enhancement possible makes the game even more favorite or something other grammar shattering term. Persona 4 Golden takes one of the best RPGs of all time and makes it bigger and better. Most of the new content is added in seamlessly and makes the game feel like a truly complete package. Where as Persona 3 Portable had to cut content to make the RPG feel portable, Persona 4 Golden feels like a true console style experience for a portable system... it's also probably going to be the last good Vita game for a long time.

Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy (3DS)

This game is a love letter to all Final Fantasy fans. The game creates a very addictive and well built rhythm game engine and uses it with an excellent selection of music from Final Fantasy's 25 year run.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3)

Say what you will about FF13, but I really liked it. FF13-2 improves on the game's engine and basically addresses all the complaints from 13. My only major gripe with the game is some of the writing, particularly the ending. Hopefully everything gets a nice conclusion in Lightning Returns.

Other games I enjoyed:

Persona 4 Arena - however I suck at fighting games

Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning - I'm not far enough in the game to make any major judgments. I really do like it though.

Pokemon Conquest - Very enjoyable, although it has some serious balance issues.

Gravity Rush - Also enjoyable but lacks length.

Ragnarok Odyssey - Enjoyable but pretty hard.

Diablo 3 - Enjoyed it up until the first major round of nerfs.

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - Beautiful game, but I'm not very far in it.

Liberation Maiden - Wacky shooty 3DS fun! It's basically Kid Icarus Uprising without the awful ground segments!

As far as games I didn't enjoy goes, I really don't have a lot to say. Mass Effect 3 is actually pretty enjoyable, but I'm mostly disappointed that the PC version will never end up on Steam, so I'm stuck with the PS3 version. The Walking Dead is a fun adventure game, but the game really drags its feet in the last two parts. (Finished it before all the award hype BTW.) And As much as I initially enjoyed Diablo 3, the fun started wearing off when it was week after week of (in my opinion) incredibly silly nerfs.

So, what about the rest of you? I always find these topics to be a good source of games to try when I get through my gigantic back log.

FFXIII-2

I thoroughly enjoyed FFXIII-2 but ultimately felt cheated. I was under the impression we would get real episodes through DLC, where we only got one-time fights and Lightning's episode which was only fun up until you win. Although i enjoyed the game, I now feel that the FFXIII brand has tarnished itself in a way it can never repair. FFXIII was a bad departure, XIII-2 was a half-hearted experiment, and Lightning Returns is just the epitome of desperation. I mean seriously, have you guys seen that video?

Look square...Lightning isn't interesting. I actually managed to like Serah more, and she wasn't even given half the development effort of the XIII chaps. After this final shameless rehash of enemies and animations we'd have bought 3 times in a row now, just give it up with XIII and its terrible, directionless lore. FFXIII has been a MASSIVE blow to your work ethic, Square Enix.

Darksiders

Black Friday, $10 buy, dont have any adventure games, why the hell not. Holy hell, this game took me by surprise. All i can remember about 30 minutes in is "wow this is a terrible GoW/DmC ripoff"...until about maybe an hour later, when i realized i was in a Legend of Zelda dungeon. And from the first dungeon onwards, I ravaged that game like a lion on an infant wildebeest. My god, i have not felt so thoroughly satisfied with a modern videogame in a while. It honestly restored my faith in videogames. With so many titles falling into that terrible hole of "cinematics" and "emphasis on storytelling" it's good to play a game that just takes a formula and makes it work for itself.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2

I don't know how Namco does it, but Tekken Tag Tournament 2 just feels like one big ambitious fighter that accomplishes way more than it should. Netplay is fantastic, the Ghost feature is interesting, it allows you to (literally) add in your own music, and best of all it doesn't charge you $$$ + DLC for player outfits. You simply play the game, unlock them and buy them. And to top it off, i logged off for about a month and came back with a new Netplay mode and like 5-6 more secret characters (some Preorder bonuses) unlocked off the disc automatically. No shitty DLC BS. Don't have to buy outfits, you can just make your own.

(AND thoroughly edit the colors AND create DECALS for them.)

Meanwhile SFxT comes off a rehashed engine, locked on-disc DLC, Costumes you have to pay to use, gameplay balanced like a paraplegic.

Jet Set Radio

I actually played JSRF before I played this game, so i was really happy when it ended up on PSN. Compared to JSRF, it has a much bigger emphasis on the physics moreso than the action. While JSRF modified its gameplay for sheer scale, JSR was more confined. Like any good platformer, it took a good minute to get used to the physics of the character, which felt great overall. The only thing about this game is the later stages (last 3 missions) where you have to tag graffiti while dealing with ridiculous police waves that you simply cannot do anything about. Other than that, this was quite the enjoyable purchase.

Sonic Adventure 2 HD

Yeah. Got bored, decided to buy it AGAIN on PSN. I owned it on Dreamcast but to be fair, i never actually owned the game on Gamecube.

You know...yes, this is still a good game to me.

It's physics issues are still pretty bad, but years of Sonic Heroes and Unleashed/Generations has allowed me to have a massive appreciation for the physics engine used in SA2. IMO, Sonic Adventure 2 is where Sonic needs to get back to -- 3D platforming. The animations in SA2 really give me that Super Smash Bros. Melee feeling, where everything just transitions and flows so well that just running around and doing...stuff, is just visually entertaining. Sonic and Shadow both have run cycles in this game that accurately reflect their true running speed unlike the newer games, which basically just throw sonic's hands behind his back. Despite being identical to Sonic you can actually FEEL Shadow's air shoes and floatyness when you use him, unlike in any other title that features him. Sonic and Knuckles no longer simply transform into a sphere when jumping, they are fully animated. The somersault also has a jump-cancel animation for added style. Overall, the core gameplay in Sonic Adventure 2 honestly feels like Sonic Team had a clear goal in mind when designing the game. The new Action system, Grinding, Scoring, and the way all of it is implemented into Action Stages just has a really great feeling to it when you really get into it...Which is really where Sonic Adventure 2 earns its stamp from me -- the Ranking System.

Sonic Adventure 2 is the FIRST and ONLY Sonic the Hedgehog game to actually incorporate Score into its core gameplay model. I mean sure, SA1 did as well, but it SA2 actually made it real. When attempting to earn A-Ranks on Action stages in this game, you are quickly made to realize that Sonic Team's was quite self-aware when designing the levels. Seperate paths, difficult maneuvers, and that random rail over there actually reward you accordingly for acknowledging their existence -- you cannot A-rank by just spindashing into the Goal Ring.

So in the end, while modern 3D sonic games are all about getting crazy speed and not killing yourself, I still prefer the style Adventure 2 was working towards, which was pretty much the same as the Classical approach -- you are innately given speed, but you have to actually work to maintain the pace. I'm also sick and tired of the whole 3D > 2D thing that modern sonic does, which was brought to the light when Generations launched and i realized it was just a really cheap way of filling the 3D stages.

And finally the Chao Garden. I think it alone sums up what Sega, Sonic Team and Sonic the Hedgehog has been missing all these years -- good designers, good programmers, and good ideas. If Old Sonic Team was good at anything, it was making fucking addictive games, as demonstrated by the Chao Garden and Phantasy Star Online Ep1, 2 & 3.

Oh yeah:

Phantasy Star Online 2

Oh man...i've never felt such an ironic mix of satisfaction and disappointment. I used to think FFXIII was tangible everything-i-hate-about-newer-games for me, but now I know it's PSO2. First hundred logged hours were blissful. After that my opinion of the game plummeted so fast my disappointment probably bursted through the floor and shoryuken'd some Japanese chick at work. PSO2 is probably what would be the result if Nintendo developed all the assets used in Super Mario Galaxy and then handed them to 10 Korean guys in a basement; A game that felt like the best game ever, except with a gaping singularity somewhere in the mix that constantly siphons all the fun away.

Long story short, PSO2 adds 10 great things to the formula of Action Dungeon Crawling, but kicks aside like 10,000. It capitalizes on the "Action", kicks aside "Dungeon Crawler", and substitutes it for "Korean Grindfest". So as a result you have one of the coolest feeling Action MMOs in existence, where you play, level, gain strength and feel like a boss until about Level 20 in Hard Mode, where the content is supposed to reset itself and grant you not only a challenge, but introduce you to the wonderful world of Rare Loot and AWESOME GEAR!....but it never happens. Your Rare Loot is just a rehash of your Base loot with no added bonuses. Lv 50 enemies are just Lv1 enemies with a stat boost. Weapon Upgrades are unrewarding and ultimately useless. Unlike older titles where Leveling Abilities and Skills provided you with improved graphics and animations, you are simply rewarded with a % modifier on your damage.

The overall artstyle has been effectively butchered to hell. Instead they've gone the typical 2012 Japanese Model route -- Kawaii that shit up, collaboration on everything popular, do random shit, show thigh and boob. Released outfits are typically uninspired and entirely Female-biased. The environments are generally more atmospheric in a PSO1 manner, but everything else just screams "We just needed an outlet for this cute new chick for you to save". The Storymode characters are so shamelessly generic that not a damn thing in the story is even halfway believable. I mean seriously, the first chapter of the game involves a 5 foot tall kid with a rifle, an equally short chick with pigtails, and a random 4 foot tall random quiet physic Wifu girl in the forest wearing pseudo-futuristic japanese ceremonial attire. Do this: go to www.PSO2.JP , and find your way to the "fansite" page where Sega supplies you with banners and content for creating your own fanpage. Count the number of male characters you find on the website. If you aren't flooded with tits and pretty eyelashes then i'll ship you a cookie.

Overall, Phantasy Star Online 2 is the same thing that Phantasy Star Universe was -- A great idea squandered by terrible followthrough. It's been clear for years now that while SEGA is certainly able to design an addictive game, unlike the older Sonic Team they are completely incapable of preventing it from falling apart, as demonstrated by PSU and the current state of PSO2. F2P was clearly the best route for this game -- it would never hold a subscription playerbase the way it is now.

League of Legends

Fuck this game.

This game is seriously the most addictive thing for me since...well, i dont know. I played it on a whim (older MMOs made me boycott the entire genre, and PSO2 reminded me that i've outgrown it), but ever since then i've been addicted to it all year and have probably spent more than $100 in its shop.

The reason being, LoL is a strategy/skill based MMO similar to DOTA that doesn't require any of your money to excel or advance in. And that's the truth -- unlike Korean MMOs or other F2P MMOs where "you dont have to pay for anything" but reach a clear advancement cap without using the cash shop, the only thing LoLs Cash Shop does is remove the time it takes to acquire playable champions, which doesn't really mean much because there are over 100 of them and like 7 new ones are made playable every week. The ONLY gameplay-serious features in the game are Runes, which can only be purchased through in-game currency.

I love PSO2, sucks to hear you hate it haha.

I would also pay for a subscription if it had one. I've got two characters, I find it extremely fun and started getting friends into it to boot. Had a hoot playing the Dark Falz EQ for the first time the other day.

Well, let's see... What'd I play for the first time in 2012...?

Sonic Adventure 2 HD

Derp, I think we've all played it. Got the DLC, and I was surprised they brought back the Big cameos... They've always amused me.

EDIT: OMG Chao! I'm so proud of my baby Keno...

Phantasy Star Portable (PSP Demo)

Well, it was alright. The voices were annoying if you didn't pick the right type, but it was fine.

Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary (DS Version)

Emulating this game, but hey, never came out in the US, so I'm not robbing SEGA of any money, since... I can't buy it.

I also need it to know who's talking at each point, since I'm helping with the translation.

Star Fox Assault

Oh my god, yes. This game, it's amazing... Holy shit.

Oh, and before I forget...

Freedom Planet

Yup. Great game. Good job, Strife!

I love PSO2, sucks to hear you hate it haha.

I would also pay for a subscription if it had one. I've got two characters, I find it extremely fun and started getting friends into it to boot. Had a hoot playing the Dark Falz EQ for the first time the other day.

I would have paid for one too, right up until about 4 months ago maybe. At this point the only reason i still bother is because im not paying for it. Or rather, i dont have to.

I wasn't sure if I was going to include League of Legends or not. I play it enough as it is, but it's a love hate relationship. If I have my friends around I love it, but I feel like i've hit a giant skill wall and I'm never going to get any better.

Espeed: I would highly recommend you give Persona 4 golden a purchase. If you want some added clarity you can always just buy Persona 3 Portable off of PSN, but it's not required in the slightest.

Reading over my rant, it sounds a bit angry. I should probably note that i don't think PSO2 is a bad game. I just think it's nothing exceptional or noteworthy, and that as a Sequel it really doesn't capitalize on anything that isnt visually pleasing, which impacts its gameplay heavily in the longrun. Where the original Phantasy Star Online began to really show its merits in endgame experiences, the subsequent Phantasy Star MMOs all tend to fall apart from not putting enough emphasis on establishing content that can support itself, which is an integral component for Dungeon Crawlers.

I remember reading somewhere that people had the exact same issue with Diablo 3. Which I find ironic, because back when PSOEp1&2 was popular the only game I constantly heard about with similarities to PSO was Diablo 2. Same issue too -- the game starts off extremely addictive and then very sharply falls off when the initial content is exhausted.

I wasn't sure if I was going to include League of Legends or not. I play it enough as it is, but it's a love hate relationship. If I have my friends around I love it, but I feel like i've hit a giant skill wall and I'm never going to get any better.

Espeed: I would highly recommend you give Persona 4 golden a purchase. If you want some added clarity you can always just buy Persona 3 Portable off of PSN, but it's not required in the slightest.

I'm going to echo this sentiment, persona 4 is an excellent jumping in point, and P4G is pretty much the definitive version of the game, tons of added content, excellent new features, and it's all portable!

I'll write up a more detailed review of my 2012 tomorrow, I just wanted to throw out the fact that the PS vita has definitely picked up traction and I freakin love my Vita, I can't wait to see what's in store for 2013 Vita-wise.

I'm going to echo this sentiment, persona 4 is an excellent jumping in point, and P4G is pretty much the definitive version of the game, tons of added content, excellent new features, and it's all portable!

Thanks for the input! I'll pick it up at some point, then.

• 2 months later...
About Persona 4 Golden; I'm a new Vita owner (as of this Christmas) and I'm always looking for a few games to add to my (relatively small) library. Would you recommend P4G to someone as unfamiliar with the series as myself?

If you're still wondering, I picked up the Persona 4 demo on PSN without ever having dabbled in the series. I got enough enjoyment out of the one hour trial to pick up the full game. It's a decent fighter and pretty easy to pick up.

Edit: I'm sorry, I read that wrong. More than once, even. Shame on me.