A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Demo to my new game released. FREE

PATCHMAN

I released a demo to my new game for free over at indiedb.com

Looking for some input. It would mean a lot. Paying homage to my favorite video game character, Sonic the hedgehog. Also from the retro gaming era.

Released through 7OSIX and WARBIRD ENTERTAINMENT.

Title screen:

titlescreen.jpg

Here's the link to the demo:

Click here.

Here's a trailer for it. I even take a jab out the ol blue hedgehog and he's current physics condition ;)

Aside from a few minor gripes, I quite like the direction this is going. It's colorful and rich in color, yet looks kind of like an old DOS game at times with it's single screen gameplay. The control is very nice and I didn't really have any problems controlling the main character. (I'm assuming his name is Patch?)

I did have some complaints about the way things worked:

First off, don't place the top of the level so close to the top of the screen. (As in, don't make it so you have some tricky jumps in a place where you can't judge distance because you're off screen.) Place down some sort of shadows, or move the level down lower or something, because I had some trouble in the first level because I couldn't see where I was going to land.

This leads to a suggestion I have. It would be nice to be able to wall-jump off of the stationary floating platforms, because having to go back up to re-do that section three or four times was rather frustrating.

Another thing with the platforms is that they're kind of glitchy sometimes. I got squished between a wall and a moving platform and ended up clipping through the wall due to it. Other times, I got my head stuck in a ceiling I was supposed to duck under.

Aside from that, it looks great and I can't wait to see more of this in action. If I have money, I will definitely buy this game when it comes out. (assuming it's for sale.)

Sereph Opinions Incoming, take with grain of salt!

Here's a trailer for it. I even take a jab out the ol blue hedgehog and he's current physics condition ;)

TBH, this threw me for an expectation loop and actually kind of impacted my feel of the game. Aside from Patch's resemblance to Old Sonic, nothing about this game really says "Sonic the Hedgehog" to me except the fact that you're comparing it to him. Sonic the Hedgehog's physics function quite differently from yours, which don't use even nearly the same applications.

As for the game itself, it's pretty fun and I think it looks absolutely wonderful. I think you did a good job with the graphics, and I enjoy the music as well. However, my only gripe with the game is that by the time I had reached Bit 3, I felt like I had played the whole game already. Jump over stuff, jump on stuff, scale up walls. While everything you put in the game certainly "works", i'm feeling like that one thing you need to identify your game with is absent. For Mario it was powerups, for Sonic it was speed and physics gimmicks, Super Meat Boy had design built around walls. Patch doesn't really do anything unique or even interesting compared to these titles, and he isn't augmented by the level (gimmicks) much either.

This could very well be the result of a 1-level demo for me. I don't think it's a very good idea to give a single level demo for a game where the entire first stage is essentially a tutorial. It doesn't really leave you yearning for much. I see the levels in your trailer and they look really neat though.

Other than that, i'm interested in seeing the rest of it. Truthfully, I don't really think i'd end up buying this at the current moment. In future design of these levels, be sure to include a gimmick or two in each level that will make each Act/Bit feel like a progression instead of just a rearrangement. Your game has a neat little visual charm to it, and I think it would be received very well if you were able to better connect the player with its environment.

So this is a single-screen platformer in which I have to save little animals trapped in boxes. I got a stomping move for breaking blocks and emblems are hidden, invisible, until I touch them.

Doesn't that sound familiar, people?

Regardless, this game plays nicely and the graphics and music are cool too. Walljumps and bosses for every set of levels are a good addition.