A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Pokemon Teal/Amber Version

TailsSena

The girl seems like one of those small children that plays with her mom's clothes. Is not that she does look bad, but she doesn't look natural. Think about Pokemon and the main characters in each game, how did they dressed like. Besides the obvious Pokemon stuff (girls can't be sexy, after all they're suposed to be ten~fifteen and they both has to wear clothes that goes well with the pokemon world), they're still boys and girls, so they can't really be too fancy (Like they can't be using a tuxedo or a party dress), but shouldn't be to childish either. The boy looks okay, but you should consider revising his design also, he doesn't have much personality in him. He just looks like an mix of Ash and Nate (Pkmn Black & White male character).

Besides some anatomy mistakes here and there, it doesn't look bad either so... Good work.

Ps:. Go easy on the pokeball's logo. They're like... everywhere.

The girl seems like one of those small children that plays with her mom's clothes. Is not that she does look bad, but she doesn't look natural. Think about Pokemon and the main characters in each game, how did they dressed like. Besides the obvious Pokemon stuff (girls can't be sexy, after all they're suposed to be ten~fifteen and they both has to wear clothes that goes well with the pokemon world), they're still boys and girls, so they can't really be too fancy (Like they can't be using a tuxedo or a party dress), but shouldn't be to childish either. The boy looks okay, but you should consider revising his design also, he doesn't have much personali-

pedro its pokemon who cares about ridiculous they look, their whole universe looks and sounds ridiculous

Nothing bothers me about the clothing designs, at least nothing i'd look twice over in a Pokemon game. The girl does seem to have a bit more "Flare" than the guy, who looks pretty reserved in comparison. If you HAVE to have a rule to go by in doing clothing designs for a game like this, its probably "same characters, same personalities, opposite gender". And since pokemon characters are just silent avatars for the player, there should be minimal expression there unless the game automatically nets you into a specific persona. (Like Exciting, Outgoing, Adventurous, ect). "Regular person that's now a pokemon trainer". Thats what those two are telling me, based on the somewhat "public" like attire, what i'd see in a mall (for the chick) or a school/lab (for the guy).

If you want to make them look like outgoing, determined pokemon poachers (pretty much every pokemon RPG ever), then you could perhaps give them more "outside" friendly attire. A quick google search shows most of the chicks in skirts / shorts. Although you should note, Japan typically refuses to give any females pants. Especially lead role females. (While you're reading this, try to recall one.) Guys are usually cargo pants / shorts.

So basically if you want to make them look like the official pokemon characters, remove layers.

Ps:. Go easy on the pokeball's logo. They're like... everywhere.

yeah, you can probably ease up with the logo on the dude. He doesn't have to get his whole wardrobe from the Pokemart window. I'd say, pick a place to nix 2 of the logos from an area on the guy. Or, just replace them with some other random logo.

And I'll leave art critique opinions to the art forum.

Time for my rebuttal/explanation, I suppose.

Ehh...

So, their fashion.

Simply put, they're not the same character. Similarly to R/S/E and HG/SS, but taken a bit farther... They'll have slightly different dialogue with most NPCs, and pair up with different partners, though none of this will actually affect gameplay.

I should also note that they both moved to Kanto from different Regions. (Teal from Johto, Amber from Sinnoh.) This is how I explained their drastic differences in appearance. (Teal looks like he comes from HG/SS, Amber from Platinum.)

Their emotion (Or lack there of...)

Thaaaats just me fucking up while trying to make Teal look happy. It's much harder to accomplish with a guy, and the fact that I was drawing them facing toward the camera (which is something I never do) only compounded the issue.

The logos

Actually, yes, he did have to get everything from the Pokemart/Silph Department Store. He lived in Goldenrod City, after all. Plus, Silph is the ONLY company in the entire Pokemon universe, they make EVERYTHING. Hence, their logo is all over the place.

And don't worry, only two of those logos are actually visible in-game... Unless I decide to keep the ones on his shoes. (If I do, I'll only keep one. The other can be blank.)

EDIT: Oh yeah, Mei wore a skirt and under-armour, just like Amber is here.

EDIT2: For reference, the ideas for them where...

Teal: Red+Lucas+Hilbert+Kyouhei

Amber: Blue+Dawn+Mei

Everything i said was strictly dealing with clothing, not facial expressions or anything else. But i also stated that none of the clothing even bothered me for what it was. I don't play pokemon, but i dont remember the characters being modern fashion gurus either. So that was really mostly just my personal opinion regarding Pedro's opinion i guess.

Well, thanks... I'll take that as a compliment. (I can't even think of any other way in which that would be meant.)

So, I guess I'll divulge into how the two of them are different in a manner of Character...

(Please note, you won't see their actual personalities if you're playing as them, it only affects whoever you aren't.)

So, Teal...

A bit jocky, actually. He was a star player on many sports teams back in Johto. (Some NPCs will reference this if you talk to them as him.) Despite common stereotypes, he cares deeply for his Pokemon, and most people he's attached to.

I've just finished some artwork for him in a "Sports Practice" outfit, at the time of writing this. Still need to scan it.

As an NPC, he'll pick whatever starter has a type advantage over yours, and catch mostly Normal and Fighting Type Pokemon.

Amber...

Kind and cool, she keeps a level head even when she's losing. (Dialogue when battling against her as Teal will reflect this.)

She too will chose the "better" starter over yours, but will catch Flying and Psychic Types.

Remember, neither of them will catch only the type I say, and I will give their AI freedom to catch whatever they encounter, albeit with some preferences.

Yep, I said it. "They can catch whatever they encounter."

On occasion, you'll cross paths with the character you didn't pick, and they'll roam around the current map, and eventually leave. The game will (somewhat) frequently shove them off to a new area, and each time they'll have a chance to catch a new Pokemon... Think Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, just not quite as complex.

Well, Green will be in the game... As the Kanto Champion. Because you know, Red is still on Mt. Silver out in Johto. As you've been told by Blue, you can go see him, once you beat all the Gyms in Kanto.

Oh yeah, you'll be able to explore Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn. (Possibly Sinnoh as well.)

As for a starter battle... Not sure if there will be one right after you get your starter... Besides, I don't even have a Rival yet!

And that reminds me, I've finished the code for spawning Party Pokemon on the field, and that for choosing a starter.

(However, all three use Mew's cry because I stumbled upon it while flipping through Heximadecimally named Sound clips, searching for the three I need.)

Well, thanks... I'll take that as a compliment. (I can't even think of any other way in which that would be meant.)

So, I guess I'll divulge into how the two of them are different in a manner of Character...

(Please note, you won't see their actual personalities if you're playing as them, it only affects whoever you aren't.)

So, Teal...

A bit jocky, actually. He was a star player on many sports teams back in Johto. (Some NPCs will reference this if you talk to them as him.) Despite common stereotypes, he cares deeply for his Pokemon, and most people he's attached to.

I've just finished some artwork for him in a "Sports Practice" outfit, at the time of writing this. Still need to scan it.

As an NPC, he'll pick whatever starter has a type advantage over yours, and catch mostly Normal and Fighting Type Pokemon.

Amber...

Kind and cool, she keeps a level head even when she's losing. (Dialogue when battling against her as Teal will reflect this.)

She too will chose the "better" starter over yours, but will catch Flying and Psychic Types.

Remember, neither of them will catch only the type I say, and I will give their AI freedom to catch whatever they encounter, albeit with some preferences.

Yep, I said it. "They can catch whatever they encounter."

On occasion, you'll cross paths with the character you didn't pick, and they'll roam around the current map, and eventually leave. The game will (somewhat) frequently shove them off to a new area, and each time they'll have a chance to catch a new Pokemon... Think Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, just not quite as complex.

It was a compliment, no worries. I trust your talent and I'm liking the ideas for the project very much.

One thing I must add that I'd really enjoyed is the fact that the main characters are from other places in the Pokemon World. I mean, we always knew that they existed and there were always references, but not directly. I think this adds a new depht to table, which is pretty cool imo.

I liked the ideia of NPCs catching any pokemon's they find (I just hope that they don't end up catching an Suicune going by, haha that would be pretty sad, actually. I would also even try to make them train their pokemons, so let's supose you were able to run without facing a certain enemy at the first route after you head off your city. Then, when you're going back there, midway in the game, the same trainer would have an pokemon well trained. Almost as good as yours.

For some reason I ended up imagining a Skyrim type of AI, where every character has a personal life. They go to dinner or to pubs, go to sleep, go work, etcetera... But I guess that I'm thinking too far in here, hah.

Oh dear, no! Not every meaningless NPC will have their own Sub-plot or Story Arc, just the important ones.

Like Carter, Al, and Jerek. You'll find out who they are later.

That said, I suppose there should be limitations on what they can catch, so no Suicune's for them unless it's a Plot Element.