A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Some game im working on

Serephim

This is technically the third iteration of this thread (hence the 3.0), which says alot about this but hopefully, if conditions permit, i'll be able to stick with it this time. I really dont know where this topic should go, but for now i guess it's best in the Art section until I feel like showing off any engine tests or something.

(Previous thread: http://sonicunited.org/hsfqmtif/forum/showthread.php?t=6040)

Edit:

Cleaned up alot of the useless stuff.

This game has a strong potential to be a great game and really beautiful. Hell, I really love how your sprites came out for this.

I'm sorry I really don't have anything else to say. I'd love to gush, yet I dunno what to gush about atm. :c

(Sorry again)

Yeah there really isn't much to show right now....well I technically have alot more to show, but you'd just be looking at a bunch of moving lines and solid colors.

I thought it'd be good to make a topic anyway though. Anything that helps motivation lol.

• 2 months later...

more random WIP animations

AzaleaIrisIdle.gif

Ixora_AirSlashSeries.gif

Lily_running.gif

(^ her sprites are taking much longer than i thought they would, and i havent even gotten to the hair yet)

GrTroop_Idle.png

Random enemy im trying to get a base for. Supposed to be a soldier. They'll come equipped with everything from rifles, to swords and magic weapons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

concept.png

^ Beginning to discard this crap.

1_zps27520b6b.png

^ Started working on Backgrounds for the first area. Native resolution isn't nearly this large.

I'm mostly working on the parallax layers and experimenting on how i want them to flow and transition. I plan on having things change based on elevation.

2_zps49f87a82.jpg

^ Thinking of ways to diversify the background

TForestSample_zps991be2fa.png

^ This is the farthest backdrop, and what should be visible over the canopy.

This is also current native resolution; I haven't settled on 640x480 or just switching to a widescreen yet, which is probably what i'll do anyway since no HUDs are started and im still doing backgrounds.

Temperforest_BGSet_zpsa0fd492a.png

Just a lazy vert flip of the forest floor tree graphic, but just testing to see how it works on elevations above the treetops.

I've decided to not adhere to any restrictive pixel style past things like sprites because to be honest, it's just alot more tedious. Whenever i actually finish backgrounds i may choose to alter the sprites, but since animations take alot longer to do on average than any background, I really dont know yet.

If I can find a way around the transparency issue (I think Alpha Channel helps with this but for now im just being careful with edges), i'll also see about throwing in animated/interactive things, like moving/destructible grass, swaying trees and foliage, ect. But for now im just getting the settings and themes in order and seeing what works.

Holy cow, Sereph... Those look amazing!

I'm beginning to think it would be easier for me too, making totally custom level art... That way I'm not stuck manipulating preset tiles, which aren't even always uniform shapes. Could just... Draw the entire level and then create a collision mask.

And for the sprites. Those are really annoying to make, so more power to ya' for making them yourself. My friend and I are trying to get something similar done between the two of us.

By the way, how exactly are you animating the sprites? We're making part sheets and throwing them together like a Paper Mario game, then rendering them as a whole sprite, since real-time animation like Paper Mario is a pain to do in MMF, or most other things in my experience.

Oh, and as I look at the sprite...

It's what... 90x40?

So... A good resolution (in 4:3) could be anywhere between... Oh, 480x360 to 640x480.

I don't know how much you want the player to see though, so it's totally up to you.

Holy cow, Sereph... Those look amazing!

I'm beginning to think it would be easier for me too, making totally custom level art... That way I'm not stuck manipulating preset tiles, which aren't even always uniform shapes. Could just... Draw the entire level and then create a collision mask.

There's really no one easy way to do it. The grass is composed of tiles while the rocks are just freehand sprites with a solid color background, where I'll draw foreground stuff later to fill in.

My idea is to do what works for what you need. For things i feel will repeat, I'll make a short tileset.

And for the sprites. Those are really annoying to make, so more power to ya' for making them yourself. My friend and I are trying to get something similar done between the two of us.

By the way, how exactly are you animating the sprites? We're making part sheets and throwing them together like a Paper Mario game, then rendering them as a whole sprite, since real-time animation like Paper Mario is a pain to do in MMF, or most other things in my experience.

MMF2 shouldn't have any issue with multi-segment sprites unless you're dealing with instancing issues, which MMF2 would gunk up anyway.

All the sprites i've done so far are all done the traditional way in Graphicsgale; each frame was drawn separate from the other one directly in the program. For some animations i may just select+drag parts of the sprite, but the way i've proportioned these sprites i can rarely ever get away with that for anything other than positioning, so every frame might as well be another picture.

I personally feel like the multi-segment approach to animating is ultimately limiting in terms of what you can express. It's sort of a tradeoff.

Oh, and as I look at the sprite...

It's what... 90x40?

So... A good resolution (in 4:3) could be anywhere between... Oh, 480x360 to 640x480.

I don't know how much you want the player to see though, so it's totally up to you.

Like the backgrounds, i've abandoned pixel limits in the creation process because it really doesn't matter in the end. I simply use base sprites while drawing backgrounds to keep them proportioned, and always keep the maximum resolution in mind.

But the engine will be able to zoom in/out anyway, so in the end that isn't entirely decisive either.

• 2 weeks later...

2_zpsdce5701b.jpg

After doodling a bit more on the backgrounds i decided to just throw them into MMF2 ontop of my TA2 engine to see how they'd sort of look in a gameplay environment.

1_zps07187263.png

2_zps61deecc3.png

And to see how it's turning out in crappy animation :

Forgive the quality, and for not removing all that shit i fly through. MMF2 loves to remind me how much I hate it every time i try to use it to my advantage. I've caused so many issues with that save file by simply deleting things...it now has an increasing lag (not caused by objects or loops) that despite disabling everything has completely stomped me. MMF2 has even begun crashing in the editor now.

Also ignore pretty much all of those animations, they're either incomplete or changed already, ect ect. I just don't feel like re-importing atm.

• 5 months later...

...Ironically, just like the last time I made a thread about some project I was working on, i've been slapped with a harddrive failure. But unlike all the other times this has happened, this is the only time it was actually a harddrive failure and not some other hardware acting up. While I didn't lose anything of interest pertaining to this specific project, I DID fail to copy a few things from the Mobile game i was working on, including the Construct port of my Tails Adventure 2 engine, which I was going to use to build the base for this game. Since I have to basically redo the ENTIRE engine over while being busy with other things that stopped me from working on either of these to begin with, things are looking a bit slow.

Also, coming back to work on assets for this game again I was disgusted with the sprites and decided to revise them and redo all the animations. Again. Nothing really felt right. I'm getting more efficient at my pipeline though and i'm getting these done alot faster than any of the ones before it, despite having less time to tinker.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1642&stc=1&d=1373047025

attachment.php?attachmentid=1643&stc=1&d=1373047032

post-143-138639765388_thumb.png

post-143-138639765389_thumb.png