A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

A question about... levels?

luksamuk

Are you comfortable with "strange-looking" levels? [Read description]  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you comfortable with "strange-looking" levels? [Read description]

• Yes.
    • No.

Not the poll-guy, really.

But I'd like to ask if you are prepared for this new kind of level I'm making.

I've already showed some screenshots, and I'm trying to mantain most part of it as a mystery, though. But if you know nothing about what I call Lost Hope Zone, then go ahead and read this info before voting.

Lost Hope Zone is a project of mine that is basically a single-act level featuring thrilling concepts. And by thrilling, I mean messing directly with the player's mind.

It all started actually in a depressive moment I experienced, so I thought it could be a good idea to make a level.

What I'm trying to say is that, actually, it could make you not want to play it anymore or again -- or simply have no effect against you.

But I can ensure you to expect screams and puzzles that seem to have no solution, or the solution is to actually kill yourself (in the game!). I don't suppose I can say more to spoil the "surprise", but that's about it.

Please, notice that I do not plan to inflict problems on anyone else's lives, nor increase any kind of depression in your thoughts. But, as Strife said once, it could go amazingly well or horribly wrong.

TL;DR: I am planning to make a psychological horror-based level for SWLC. Are you OK with that?

I've been considering such concepts for my project as well.

I think fangames are all about experimenting and playing with things SEGA didn't dare to work with. A strange-looking, somewhat scary level with a mysterious atmosphere sounds like a great idea to me.

If you remember Sonic Nebulous, it felt almost nothing like a Sonic game with its shadowy/misty backgrounds, yet it played well and looked surprisingly beautiful. Not sure if you want to make something similar though.

Still, I wouldn't recommend going too extreme with this.

You just have to be commited to a style and a (loose) theme. If you have 5 vanilla, genesis styled sonic levels then suddenly one really weird experimental one then another 3 normal levels it will be out of place. Yet if you kept the experimental feel for the whole game it could work and wouldn't seem so disjointed.

Like I said though, this being for the SWLC it's fine. All the levels are detached.