A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The "Sonic: Edge of Darkness" Thread

That is welcome news. I hope you guys have a lot of levels by the time SAGExpo rolls around. I simply need to play more of this game. Where is Delta anyway? Tell him to make some levels too damnit!

I hope we have more levels as well, Delta and I keep entering periods of time where we don't get any work done lol. And he doesn't come here often anymore, he's been busy this whole school year lately.

But no worries, he's working on updating some of the tilesets and parallaxes for future stages. Stay tuned!

One thing that always looked wierd to me, and it is the spiked motobog. Why does the spikes look like they're coming from behind the motobug instead of on top?

It's honestly the way the spikes have been drawn lol

Hopefully in the future I'll remember to make the spikes look more precise.

• 5 weeks later...

@Potato, Jassbec, and everyone who liked the post

Thanks guys! :D I'm thinking about making a trailer for Shimmering Shores to show off the slightly modified Act 1, the new Act 2 and its setpiece, and the boss if I ever get around to completing it lol

Hm...Are you planning to release any more demos before SAGE 2?

I mean I could just release a Shimmering Shores-only demo somewhere in the summer, but the rest of the content we have planned for Act 2 is a lot to get done before the next SAGE. We might release a demo in SAGE '15 if the demo can't be finished by then.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress report! ft. Shimmering Shores Act 2 and Corrupted Canyon Act 2

rUFIzCZ.png

Robotnik is up to no good..

Pop7yVz.png

One of Metal Sonic's attacks. (excuse the offset of Metal's sprite)

dV3TAbP.png

Run through parts of an abandoned factory in Corrupted Canyon Zone Act 2!

pD9b45Y.png

Also sandfalls.

• Like 7

Guest Mr Lange

A while back I suggested you add rim shading around the black structures in the near background to capture the sunset lighting from behind. I went ahead and made an example.

yzGtxVS.png

Edited by Mr Lange
  • Like 3

This is shaping up nicely. Now when do we see Metal "Tails" and Knuckles?

Well, you guys may be in a surprise for the SAGE 2014 Act 2 demo. It all really depends if Delta ever finds time again to help work on some resources, because I've been working on this project for the most part lately. :L

A while back I suggested you add rim shading around the black structures in the near background to capture the sunset lighting from behind. I went ahead and made an example.

yzGtxVS.png

Wow! I like the way it looks. I can't recall the time when you suggested adding rim shading, must have went totally over my head. Sorry about that.

I'll let Delta know about it and see what he can do.

Guest Mr Lange
Wow! I like the way it looks. I can't recall the time when you suggested adding rim shading, must have went totally over my head. Sorry about that.

I found it, page 362 of the screenshots thread. There was some other criticism there too which still applies.

Yes Bliz two major things.

The sand dune layers do not meld well with the scene. The canyon in the far background has mostly neutral colors and shading, yet it is more distant than the sand dunes which become much darker with distance. If this is fog, it is not realistic (because the canyon should be the darkest of all). If it is lighting, the dunes need to be moved much lower than the canyon wall. Even so, brute darkening is very cheap, and something the Sonic games rarely resort to. Try using a darker color scheme instead of just lowering the brightness.

The other thing is the foreground of machinery just behind the stage. Silhouette black does not go well with the scene, but you're not far off given the sunset lighting. It works in Oil Ocean because of the distance, lighting, and fog, none of which are present here. The machinery should have illuminated edges to indicate there's still light projecting onto it from the reverse side, gradiating to a silhouetted front side. The original Sonic games have done this a few times:

*broken image links*

See what I'm getting at there? You'll have to create the sprites for the machinery in the lit areas because the original sprites were only solid colors, but it will look much better. You could use the foreground of Oil Ocean as a reference since the structures are very similar.

Though I've just shown that you could resort to pure color for the rim shading instead of drawing what they look like when lit.

BPGNQsM.png

THANK GOD SOMEONE ACTUALLY KNOWS WHAT A PERSPECTIVE IS.

I mean for real, you're like the only person (beside me) who's making a fangame and understands that water surface should be viewed from below when you are underwater.

Edited by Felik
  • Like 2

THANK GOD SOMEONE ACTUALLY KNOWS WHAT A PERSPECTIVE IS.

I mean for real, you're like the only person (beside me) who's making a fangame and understands that water surface should be viewed from below when you are underwater.

I think the reason most people don't end up including this in their game is less about not knowing what perspective is and more about not knowing how to actually create that kind of effect. Like seriously how do you even make that happen.

• Like 4

Guest Mr Lange

Yeah what Highwire said. I want to include that effect in Overture but holy shit, I have no idea how to make that happen right now with MMF2. Someone made a working example in Game Maker, but there has yet to be one in MMF2.

I can answer your question as to how to do that: It's called getting off your lazy ass and putting in a bout 30 pieces of parallax. It's not hard, just tedious. (just so you know I'm not calling anyone lazy, sarcasm is just hard to convey over the internet)

See look:

That was almost a year ago. But yea, just look at the way the parallax looks, you can see it for the entirety of the video because of the fact I forgot my screen recorder can't do fullscreen.

Edited by Mr. Potatobadger

Guest Mr Lange

Haha yeah that is one way, but I aim to find a faster more practical method, one that allows limitless stretching. The issue with that method, and that in Sonic 3, is that it can only stretch to a certain point, then freezes.

To be honest, it didn't take me long. It looks daunting, but I did that in the back of the car in the first hour of a 3 hour car trip. It's just a matter of deciding to do it. Essentially, when you're done, the most troubling  thing would be changing the graphics, which is a good enough reason to me to find a more efficient way. Otherwise, I'm fine.

Edited by Mr. Potatobadger

I can answer your question as to how to do that: It's called getting off your lazy ass and putting in a bout 30 pieces of parallax. It's not hard, just tedious. (just so you know I'm not calling anyone lazy, sarcasm is just hard to convey over the internet)

See look:

That was almost a year ago. But yea, just look at the way the parallax looks, you can see it for the entirety of the video because of the fact I forgot my screen recorder can't do fullscreen.

I believe it could be done in a much more simple and elegant way: by using fastloop at start of frame to setup parallax pieces' values. I actually am going to try to do that.

So that's how you do it. Yeah there's gotta be a simpler way of doing it that doesn't require 30 plus layers, especially if the game already has 5-10 layers to begin with.

I believe it could be done in a much more simple and elegant way: by using fastloop at start of frame to setup parallax pieces' values. I actually am going to try to do that.

Do be kind and let us know if it works please.