A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Help USC with his GB title screen translation!

USC

Hey!

So, I've been helping out with making graphics for a GameBoy translation hack, and I'm currently working on the title screen and the link cable graphics. Since the group that's translating doesn't want to edit the tile maps, I've been somewhat constrained in what I can do. If anyone has any suggestions about what I can do to make it look better, I'd really appreciate it - the GR! in particular is troubling me.

sfghqhelp.png

Yes, I know it's Pokemon. I actually enjoyed the Gameboy Card game...

I also made an alternate 'dark' version that I thought looked pretty good too...

attachment.php?attachmentid=1566&d=1337615543

Any comments would be way cool. Thanks!

post-16-138639765293_thumb.png

Well, the text bubble (when localized) says "You need two people to play."

Can you be more specific with what you need help on though? Translation or style? I could help with both.

EDIT: Also, the dark one looks better, but the white one looks more like the average GBC game. Especially a GBC Pokemon game. Everything was white back then. I'll try to make something when I get home.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm not actually doing the translation, just the graphics work (EG: The title screen and the 'Card Pop!' graphics, not the text). My big issue is the tile map limit; I can't draw in any area that's colored pink in my previous post (in the third row). I can hex-edit different colors in, but there can only be 4 to a tile (including the background color).

I tried to spruce up the 'GR!' on the title screen, so here's what it currently looks like.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1567&stc=1&d=1337630652

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

post-16-138639765296_thumb.png

Wow, that's a pretty good idea! In a way, it helps center/'normalize' the (TEAM) GR and make it all one block. I'll see if I can incorporate that into my next revision.

Here's my next attempt, doing some work on the GR! bit to make it look less drawn-by-hand...

attachment.php?attachmentid=1568&stc=1&d=1337727166

I think if I mess around with the palette and palette attributes a bit I can get the two shades for blue to make the POKEMON title '3D' and still have red for the bottom. Here's hoping...

Thanks for all your help so far TailsSena, and for going to all that effort (yeah, the tilemap makes me tear my hair out too).

post-16-138639765298_thumb.png