A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

buying cheap graphic tablet

Serephim

First of all, I'm guessing you want a Wacom, correct?

I was lucky with mine... I have a Wacom Bamboo Fun small size (first generation, the one with mouse and touch ring).

From what I could gather, the newer Bamboo generation isn't as good (lack of mouse, tips get worn out quick.)

Even the Intuos4 isn't safe: A friend of mine says that it's awesome compared to the Intuos3, but the tips go quite quick. It's due to the new surface.

Anyway, I got mine from amazon marketplace, from J&R.com, which had one unit left. They sometimes get few other units, but they're gone quite fast.

Search around amazon marketplace and see what you can find. Intuos3s are everywhere, while old Bamboos are hard to find now. Prices are considerably... off:

See this Fun 1st gen small, expensive as shit even though it's outdated.

They might be old, but the prices are still pretty high. As a last resort there's ebay... But I have no experience with that one (stupid paypal isn't available here) :<

EDIT: The fuck Wacom, the newer bamboo models aren't exactly easy to differentiate. There's Bamboo "Capture", "Connect", and "Create" (aka decent pen+touch, crap pen, and bigger model). Totally intuitive... what happened to "Pen", "Pen & Touch" and "Touch"?

be prepared to pay more than you really want to.

I used to own a cheap Nisis tablet about 7-8 years ago and it was absolute shite, the thing jerked all over the show and didn't offer much in terms of comfort.

Don't skimp out and buy something cheaper just because you don't fancy forking out for a Wacom. Save up your dollas and buy a 2nd hand A5 intuos.

HOWEVER. If you're not 100% committed to doing digital art then go for a Bamboo to test the waters. I own a Graphire3 and it's still useful to this day.

Here's a refurbished one... Not too bad, considering it comes with everything, including the CDs and stuff.

Otherwise, used ones vary, but some come without the stylus (wat)

Otherwise, ebay:

A 9x12 one, bid at $150 (!!)

6x8 one, used, bid at $31 (!!!)

6x11 one, NEW, bid at $137.25 (not bad at all)

Intuos3s are very durable, and you can change the surface sheet, so buying a slightly used one won't be bad at all. It's a lot better than a cheap tablet that runs on batteries or uses a pen tether.

Wow, thats a nice find, gsoft. The refurb for $150 looks great.

Edit: Nevermind, the $150 only has the pad, no stylus, and those run like $70 anyway.)

Yeah, i could have gotten a non-wacom one a long time ago, but my Graphire 3 worked just fine for me (it was from Ebay, it didn't even have the face buttons on the pen and worked just fine for me), and i figure there's no reason to waste my money on something i'll regret in the long run. Endgame i'll be getting wacom anyway.

Funny thing about Ebay, you gotta be lucky on some of these bids. they tend to shoot up hundreds of dollars in the last 10 seconds of the bid on some objects, but every now and then you can get lucky.