A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Putting a hole in the BG to see another (MMF 2)

Appo

Sorry for the title but i don't know what to call it, anyhow is there a way to mask off an area of background so you can see another? i'm making a game in the sonic worlds engine that starts off in a 8bit dimention and you start to come across 'holes' in a level that show the 16bit dimention. I'm finding this part difficult as I want both backgrounds to use paralex. Don't know if this made much sense.

Not sure if it's possible without HWA, and I don't even have HWA. But you may yet make some sections where Sonic passes some kind of wall or whatever, and the background changes. In this case, it is completely easy to do. If we're talking only about backgounds, you just have to make separate Background System Boxes for it.

For example, if I have only one BG System Box for the whole 8-bit BG. I create another one for the 16-bit BG that will be invisible in 8-bit sections, and vice-versa.

But holes, such as "windows"... not sure. Sorry.

May this help you...

yeah i'm wanting only certain parts, like parts of the other dimention comming through, everything is parallel but look different in these holes (if that makes sense) i'll probably make a new topic in 'General Fangame Discussion' when i get more done. I have it so that sonic, badnicks and effects change appearence when they cross over, it's just the background that i can't figure out :S

We? Oh, I forgot. You also work on MM. Yeah, I can't believe I didn't think of that. I was thinking about it before but I guess I forgot since I really haven't used it before. That should be the solution you're looking for Appo. However, I'm guessing you may not know how to use it?

We? Oh, I forgot. You also work on MM. Yeah, I can't believe I didn't think of that. I was thinking about it before but I guess I forgot since I really haven't used it before. That should be the solution you're looking for Appo. However, I'm guessing you may not know how to use it?

That is where you are right, just had a play around but don't know how to use it :( could somebody please give me a hand? i haven't really worked with anything in HWA. Oh and thanks Lark

Well I took the logic of the fact that things that are see through in any sense in terms of shaders or effects usually follow the same principals as ADDTIVE. White Translucent, Black Transparent. So this means that for example an orb would from black to white would do the trick nicely. I discovered this when trying to figure out how Streak did the "Blast Ripple" effect.

Here is a very small example:

Hole Pixel Shader

MFA Example

You can use that circle in various other pixel shaders, Such as OvineLense.

Okay so before you download, bare in mind, this example is only showing the general method behind most of the shaders and how to get a kinda hole. I do not as of yet know exactly how to achieve what Streak did however, I will continue that soon. As of now, this should do yah. I hope.

thanks for that blazefire, still not sure how i would implement it to what i want.

If i applied that effect to a patch on the background it would move with the background because of the paralex. Here is a crude mockup i made in photoshop to help show what i mean

Untitled-1-2.png

What you're wanting in my mind in terms of how I would do it has the same similar flaws. For example, wouldn't you have to position each HOLE object onto the background and if so how do you constantly maintain what goes where and how? Your Welcome by the way, I don't think I can help much more though.

hmm yeah, i have the foreground bits, all objects and monitors sorted,i can just get all object to play a 16bit animation when a value (in this case dimention = 1) when they come in contact with a switch like the switch for the loops. It's just the BG, I suppose i could have a static background for the small part and then when you come to the bigger parts that take up the whole view i could swap the background parallax like LH The Hedgehog said.

Thanks for the help guys, i'll just have to keep messing with stuff and hopefully get something that looks ok.