A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Making 16-bit sound effects from scratch?

Strife

This is something I've been wondering for the longest time - how do you go about making 16-bit sound effects from scratch? Sounds are pretty much the only thing I can't create on my own, mostly because I have no idea where to start or what software I should get.

Does anyone know of any sound mixing software that emulates 16-bit consoles pretty decently? If not, where can I start my search? (I tried Google, but I can't find what I'm looking for.) Failing that, is there an archive of Sega Genesis sounds that I could download from? (With the latter option, I would at least be able to use existing sounds as a base and heavily modify them to suit my needs.)

I would say the best place to ask this type of thing would be on SonicRetro. I know that there is a sound-font released from Sonic1 which is use-able in a music program like fl studio. I guess you could use them to do sounds and such. It should work considering that they are used IN the SFX themselves.

Google "The Ultimate Megadrive/Genesis Soundfont V.2".

I have that soundfont, actually. I've even made Genesis-styled songs with it. :3

So you're saying that I could theoretically take the instruments in this soundfont and distort the crap out of them to make SFX? Sounds like it might work, but I'd need to figure out the best tool to use for said distortion. Definitely worth a shot to ask the Sonic Retro gurus, though.