A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Aliens Colonial Marines

Aliens Colonial Marines is the newest installment of Alien madness. As many people may have heard, it hasn't had the best reception, believed to have exceptionally bad AI and glitchy visuals Aliens Colonial Marines has failed dismally. Or has it.

Me and Perfect Calamity spent this weekend playing through the campaign on the Xbox version. We played it straight off the bat on hardened difficulty, the second hardest choice. After 7 or 8 hours we had completed it and the following is my findings and personal thoughts.

Over the whole campaign I only ran into a few bugs or issues, the first of which was a sound glitch where the sound of our weapons completely vanished for about 35 seconds, it then returned and never became an issue again. As for visuals, the game was great, the lighting was beautiful and extremely effective. Unlike many games the torch wasn't a turn on leave on piece of equipment as things like shiny surfaces and smoke/steam made it necessary to turn it off to prevent glare or general reflection. Also lights played a great part in how the game messed with your mind and the way you attempted to play the game.

As for the games AI, the Aliens of Aliens Colonial Marine are smart and sneaky. On multiple occasions I found myself being attacked from all directions. One notable moment was, when a Stalker class Xeno jumped out from an underfloor vent right next to me, attacked then before I could retaliate it ran up a wall and onto the roof and jumped onto my team mate. The AI seemed to be well designed on a whole and even surprised me on many occasions.

The game in several places achieved its goal in scaring me and creating extremely tense moments. Not only did the game use jump scares, but it also had whole sequences that proved to be both challenging and enjoyable. I must admit that Aliens Colonial Marines knows how to mess with you.

Aliens Colonial Marines seems to have been under rated by most. I found it extremely fun and would definitely recommend it to any Aliens fan. I myself am not really much of an Aliens fan, but I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

This is just my take on it, please feel free to comment on your experience of Aliens Colonial Marines.

I'm a huge Aliens and Predators fan (I know Predators aren't in the game) and I'm excited to get my hands on it! Do they have a PC copy of it? or is it only for Xbox and PS3?

Don't waste your money on it. It's not that good. But the fans are polishing it so you should wait for that one.

Post patch, the game still has issues, but it is fun. I believe DaHog is referring to the group of PC-players who are re-building the Colonial Marines campaign via mods.

Honestly Mods make most games 1000 times better.  But that's my opinion, I have always been a huge modder and still am!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It looks really cool! I'm like this - close to actually considering buying it. From what I heard so far, I'm convinced.

Not to put a damper on your decision, but the game has been widely panned and on top of that had controversy up the you-know-what.