A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Musician's Thread

Eminence

Share your gear / have some music talk. :)

Guitar(s):

Squier Bullet (Electron Blue)

Cost: $50

It's pretty much the default beginners guitar not bought at Toys R' Us or Target. The action is ridiculously high; the pickups sound like garbage; it barely can stay in-tune; but give someone a 20 watt amp with an awful "Overdrive" channel and they'll have a blast with it.

Side-note: It's actually sitting in pieces in my closet right now. I plan on upgrading it somewhere down the line.

sqb.jpg

Fender Stratocaster (Mexican)

Cost: $300

Solid-solid guitar. Bought it because I was obsessed with Fenders at the time. Great guitar for people who want to test the waters of taking music serious; gives you a wide-medley of sounds to play. Awesome "eye-grabbing" color.

Side-Note: This was the first guitar I've ever played anything "live" with. It currently has issues with the input. I've got to solder a wire back together.

231122.jpg

Agile AL-3100 White Gold HW

Cost: $450

Wow. This guitar was the greatest value I've ever had. From the way its cosmetics to the way it plays. Always wanted a Les-Paul styled-guitar. It blows away Epiphone Les-Pauls but it's no-where near close to a Gibson.

al3100whitegoldhw1.jpg

Amps:

Behringer V-Ampire

Cost: $200

My "main" amp. Looking to upgrade ASAP. Been using my friends Line-6 half-stack; looking to buy a half-stack for myself soon. GREAT amp for beginners; you've got a cavalcade of different models and effects. It actually sounds GREAT until you play it compared to a tube-amp.

image_3435.jpg

-

That's what I'm playing with SFGHQ. I know there are other musicians out there. :) As far as what I do. I play guitar and sing. My voice goes along the lines of Kill Hannah, Local H, Smashing Pumpkins, the Cure, Nirvana, etc.

Anything rock-driven I'm down to play; I shy away from metal however.

Tell me about your own music exploits.

I'm a singer songwriter and composer.

I own a Taylor Acoustic Guitar... dunno what model it is cause it's in my flat in Leeds and I'm 60-odd miles away from it.

I also own a Gibson Les Paul Studio and a customised no-name stratocaster that cost about £120. I put on a nice humbucker and it sounds wonderfully shite.

As for amps I have a Fender Princeton (I think) amplifier that all my uni work sits on top of; and at home I own a Marshall TSL-60 head, hooked up to a hand built cabinet containing a 1960's fender speaker, both of which have probably frozen in this weather.

At my computer I have a Presonus Inspire 1394 and a set of M-Audio AV40s.

I use Ableton Live, FL Studio 9 and openMPT.

I think that's about it.

Oh and I use an M-Audio Oxygen 25 for keyboard stuff.

- and for miking I have an AKG Perception 120.

---

as for stuff I play... Neil Young and Nick Drake mainly atm. Was learning a fair bit of Opeth then my tastes sort of mellowed out.

though I can play about 80% of Nirvana's songs cause I used to be a little fanboy.

Umm, right now I don't really "own" very much.

I have some Yamaha bass I'm borrowing from a friend until I buy my Ibanez SR505 early next year.

Some crappy Casio keyboard I think.

A pretty decent acoustic guitar that I don't remember the brand of and can't check because its at home.

Thats about it as of now. Things I play are video game music (mostly FF and Zelda), Muse, some Devin Townsend a bunch of random stuff... I'm hoping to get a band going at some point so I can get better and I'm taking bass lessons. I also sing but meh.

• 1 month later...

I'm a singer and music composer too, but I do not own electric guitars simply because I make voice & guitar music only, and that's my style -- but it doesn't mean that I'm not eclectic though. I still plan on making eletric guitar-based ballads.

I have a black acoustic Condor nylon guitar and a Strinberg steel string guitar which can be plugged in an amp for eventual gigs I like to play only for my friends. People keep telling me that I have talent, but I don't know if I'm gonna deal with a professional career.

Hey, talking about that, does anyone knows the best kind of eletric guitar for someone who likes to play fingered music? lol.