A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

What if you were SEGA ?

Kirs

... or how would you 'save' Sonic franchise ?

Sonic 4 have been just released and a lot of different opinions had appeared.

But the most common opinion is that evendough Sonic 4 is not a bad game, its too far from the classics. SEGA tried it, with some good points, but didnt succeed.

Since a 'episode 1' have been released, there must be a episode 2 at least, and how they are parts of the same game, they cannot make significant changes, so release episode 2 wont help too much to improve the franchise.

BTW SEGA doent know what to make.

But people will still claim for a triumphant 2d Sonic, and sega is going to try again

So what do you think SEGA should do with this mess ?

My opinion:

Some people, like me, wont buy episode 2 if overall gameplay remains the same, and how episode 1 was not worth the price, maybe episode 2 should be free, or very low cost, to avoid the masses to blaim SEGA.

And for the next 2D Sonic, just Sonic 4 graphics and classic physics and without homming attack, it would be PERFECT.

Allow me to exercise my right to respectfully disagree with you. I think Sonic Fan Remix is missing the point of Sonic. It's too realistic. I want my Sonic games to look cartoony. I'm not saying it's bad, though. It's Sonic in that guy's eyes.

That being said, I have a question. Kirs, are you talking about saving the Sonic franchise in general, or just the 2D segment of it? Last I checked, Sonic Colors is doing damn well. I especially love how it's bringing old badniks in for new challenges. I wouldn't do a damn thing to fix the 3D portion of the franchise.

As for the 2D portion...a physics hack of Sonic 4 is inevitable. When it's done and sent to someone important at Sega (as it most likely will be), I would take heed of it and retroactively patch episode 1 with it when they release episode 2. Or something like that.

I agree with what you said of sonic fan remix, but with my new point of view, maybe I will enjoy more that game than Sonic 4, maybe...

And well, I loved Sonic Heroes and Unleashed, so I'm talking about 2D.

A Sonic 4 hack ? I've seen something around sonic retro, but how would it be possible to get the source code, filtrations? ?

I'm telling you it won't be. Sonic 4 is the closest to what I imagined Sonic 4 was going to be like.

Now if someone could combine the detail of Sonic Fan Remix with the vibrance of Sonic 4, that is what Sonic 4 as I imagined it would be like. I'm not even going to talk about the physics cause they'll be fixed in Sonic 4 by hackers soon enough.

When hackers will fix Sonic 4 (physics, level layout, graphics etc) we will talk. Right now we only have SEGA's crappy Sonic 4 and this piece of awesomeness.

And I don't know about you, but I NEVER imagined about Sonic 4 having speed busters at every corner, homing attack, and fucking bubbles placed in rows all over the place just waiting for you to kill then by it.

Again, I am going to respectfully disagree, this time with you, Felik. Save for a few stupid moments (Bubble chain over a pit? Come on), I enjoyed homing attacking those Bubbles. I don't have to if I don't want to, after all. The speed boosters do little to detract from my overall enjoyment of the game. And the homing attack is a godsend when speed running things. Now I don't have to wait to come back down from flying up a quarterpipe if there's something for me to lock onto! I think the homing attack is marvelous when the level design allows for creative use of it. So, in terms of how good Sonic 4 is, let's just agree to disagree, yea?

As for the physics fix....here's some info.

EDIT: Let me put it this way. While Sonic Fan Remix may have the physics down pat, I still think Sonic 4 is a better game. I may have more fun with Sonic Fan Remix while the Sonic 4 physics are borked, but when they are fixed, Sonic 4 will be more fun for me than Sonic Fan Remix. You don't have to agree with me, this is just how I feel about it.

So, in terms of how good Sonic 4 is, let's just agree to disagree, yea?
Ok... You are right I can't tell people what they should enjoy and what shouldn't.

BTW I've read Sonic 4 hacking thread before.

Really hope that Polygon Jim will do everything he is intending to.