A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[Spriting Assistance] Guidance on how to produce this image?

Ollie

Hi there, I hope I can ask this sort of question in this forum. Basically I have little to no talent when it comes to spriting so I need a little bit of guidance/tips/etc on how to produce the cliff styled rocks in sprite form:

259981concept4.jpg

So my idea was to just make a blank 128x128/256x256 Canvas and fill it out with a base colour so a shade of brown or whatever. Then go other it with darker lines, but then what about shading?

Does anyone have any idea how to go about recreating the cliff pattern in sprite form?

Thanks

So my idea was to just make a blank 128x128/256x256 Canvas and fill it out with a base colour so a shade of brown or whatever. Then go other it with darker lines, but then what about shading?

You definitely took the right step if you want to do it in a 128x128 form. But if you want to keep your work simple, go with 64x64.

As for shading, You have to think of it tridimensionally. Where does the light hit the most and where does it hit much less?

attachment.php?attachmentid=1340&stc=1&d=1282571373attachment.php?attachmentid=1341&stc=1&d=1282572625

Sloppily done, but should get the point across. It kind of like how it was done with lava reef, except lava reef had lots of optimization to fit 16x16 tiles.

If you want the rocks to be flat though, just shade around the edges. That's where the curvature is.

I'm really bad when it comes to explain some things, so please excuse me.

post-361-138639764156_thumb.png

post-361-138639764157_thumb.png