A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[MMF2] Watch my progress in making my first ever static engine.

Ristar

bear in mind i've not used mmf in YEARS, and YEARS ago I was still terrible.

so.

please explain to me where i'm going wrong; why my player falls a bit through the floor if he falls from too big a height etc.

i couldn't really find any info about static engines with mmf on google so i just decided to use what i know to attempt a static engine.

staticpractice.mfa

either you have to detect the position of the floor and stop at it, or you go through it, stop the y movement (Set Y counter to 0) and then set the position of your player above the floor. try the attachment and see how it is.

PS - What exactly is a 'static engine'? All the years everyone has mentioned it I never bothered to ask.

staticpractice-1.mfa

• Like 1

ahhhh! i see! thanks a LOT

i think it's because the objects used all have static movement, i.e. they don't normally respond to player input like platform movement does.

np.

oh you mean the mmf movement types? i suppose that's why google never showed anything about it.

yeah :D

ok... see if you can understand my thinking here:

i have a slope that is 64x32, ascending from left to right.

i've put a new collision detector in at the bottom right... but i'm not sure how to use it just yet.

would i have to calculate the position of the bottom collision detector is at in relation to how far along the slope it is?

my brain is starting to ache :\

edit: made some improvements and camera stuff. why does the camera fuck up when the player lands?

edit2:

sorted a lot of stuff out and made improvements/features here and there:

-added a double jump - seems to work fine

-ceiling collision

-background scrolling (well that's not hard but still..)

-sorted the gravity out

edit3:

added slope stuff in... when going down them it's all smooth... but going up is really bumpy. i think it's something to do with the gravity.

edit 4:

right binned just about everything apart from camera controls.

did some research into fastloops and stuff so i'm building up on what i've learnt.

check below for the new version.

staticenginev003.mfa

staticenginev004.mfa

When coding stuff in MMF Ristar, anything you do in the event editor is 'read' by MMF each frame from top of the event editor to the bottom.

For instance, you have your sensor positioning events at the top of the list, however then make adjustments to the position of the player after this. This causes your sensors to lag behind as they only reposition the next time the frame is drawn. (Move the 'Always' event from the always group to the bottom of the event editor.)

Knowing this is actually really handy and its where alot of basic problems can occur. Parallax events should always be placed before the camera events, camera events should always be placed after anything modifying player position, etc..

• Like 1

hahaaa and i thought i was being tidy!

cheers thought, this is why you're the boi nitemare :D

after studying some code and then going to MMF, coding is definitely easier and less hassle once you know what you're doing.

i'm shit at coding too though tbf.