A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Practising spriting

Blue Frenzy

I has been working on some sprites. It's kind of hard, specially with the animations, but I am getting some results. The problem is that since I made them (or at least most of their parts) i see it bad. So I have to ask people what do you think about those sprites I am working in.

choak2.png

pio.png

aniab.png

Please, if anyone can help me with tips for animating an object or even giving me some templates or applications for taking references, you'll make me happy :aparty:

You need to have a more precise light source. That's pretty much all I have to say at the moment.

[qimg]http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1262&stc=1&d=1266363557[/qimg]

How did you do that? It is really great! Can you give me some tips for noticing how the light sources should be done?

And again animate is the worst part :S I still don't know if i am going to do it right. I will try my best but If i have no reference, I cannot do it righr.

How did you do that? It is really great! Can you give me some tips for noticing how the light sources should be done?

Just imagine a Sun throwing light over the sprite and think of it tridimensionally. Which parts of the sprite get full light? Which parts get light partially? Which parts have the light blocked by another part?

Once you figure these out, you're set.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1263&stc=1&d=1266449007attachment.php?attachmentid=1265&stc=1&d=1266450434

post-361-138639764039_thumb.png

post-361-138639764043_thumb.jpg

The logic is easy but still it's hard to do it :s

And anotheer thing, how did you do those changes and why? What were my errors and how did you fix it that way? It's very important to me if I want to continue spriting. Specially talking about the clothes, since I made shit compared with what you did. But I noticed you touched everything.

The logic is easy but still it's hard to do it :s

And anotheer thing, how did you do those changes and why? What were my errors and how did you fix it that way? It's very important to me if I want to continue spriting. Specially talking about the clothes, since I made shit compared with what you did. But I noticed you touched everything.

Bottom part of the hat: it seemed too flat.

Top part of the hat: It looked like it was bent at the middle as there was too much light at it, and thee tip of the hat looked like it was pointing to the screen.

Cape: Looked like it was made of a very hard material, that wouldn't fold no matter what. If you hold a piece of cloth, it will fold itself (Example)

The orb: You have many colors you can work with, so there's no need for dithering. I just got rid of it and made the color transitions smoother.