A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Monitor freakiness...

DimensionWarped

I've got this 22" Westinghouse monitor... it's acting pretty weirdly. Every once in some random interval of time while it's in use it'll flip out, go blank, and then come back on after a second or two, sometimes losing it's settings in the process.

But thats not the weird part. That could easily be choked up to driver problems or voltage spikes (which I get a good number at this apartment) anything else. Maybe. Whats weird is that it does the same thing in reverse. It can be physically powered off, then suddenly it comes on and displays a solid white image with some odd artifacts and then goes into power save mode. But a weird sort of power save mode that doesn't react to anything and where pressing the switch causes it to go back into normal operation (well, as normal as it is)...

I'm not sure if voltage spikes can do that and I know problems with the computer can't. Anyone seen anything like this before?

Something is definitely wrong with the power circuits.

You probably know that when you turn the monitor (and most modern appliances) off, you're not <i>really</i> turning them off. There is always some power monitoring circuits active... like the circuits that monitors the power button.

My bet is if that's on the fritz, then it could be registering phantom "power button presses" and basically freaking out. It's a power supply problem, basically.

=Smidge=