A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Setting up a Backup...

Aaron C-T

So I bought a WD Passport today to backup my computer. And while setting up a backup is easy enough (using both the program that came with the drive and the built-in Windows Backup) neither of them seems to be capable of something a bit more.. useable. Sure, you can restore easily to the way things were in the event of an accident, but it's not exactly accessible. Windows Backup puts everything into one restorable file, it seems. And Western Digital's "SmartWare" copies everything into folders but the roots all have incredibly bizarre, unclear names- making it impossible to quickly browse to the folder you're looking for.

Basically, I'm wondering if there's any way to set something up so that, say, my Music Library is copied over to the drive on a set schedule and appears on the drive in a friendly, easy to browse way. The end goal being that I can go to another computer and access files as if I had just dropped them onto a flash drive, but without me having to continually drag-and-drop between the two (which would kind of kill the point of it also serving as a second backup copy).

Edit: A better way of saying that is something like a RAID configuration, I think. Where folders get mirrored.