A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Calling all... nevermind.

LarkSS

I'm having a bit of a concern regarding MMF2's HWA beta ( guess it should be obvious why =[ ). I'm using the latest beta, so don't start off by recommending that, hahah.

You see, I've tried running with Direct3D acceleration, and I have experienced great results. Rotations are very smooth due to finer precision from the graphics card, scaling is done very quickly without the need for mmf2 to build a cache of the graphic, and overall frame rates have boosted up when many large objects have been thrown into harm's way. All sounds well in good, especially with the additional functions that Direct3D in MMF2 supports, but all of this has been tried with a window size of 320x240...

When I made an application with a 640x480 resolution and added a Quick Backdrop that covered the whole frame, immediately the frame rate dropped to 30fps out of 60fps. The quick backdrop's repeating image size was 64x64, so I decided to make 256x256 active objects and try that out instead. The frame rate remained the same. Deleting an object or two greatly boosted the frame rate. It just doesn't make sense how the speed is reduced so quickly, especially since I had the 320x240 res running much more with scaling and such at full speed, and 3D games I've run on this computer at 640x480 haven't run terrible at all whenever I go up close to a highres texture.

I don't know if there's something I'm doing wrong when trying to handle stuff within HWA. I know in Standard rendering, I get full fps within 640x480 and the same Quick Backdrop. I was only going to use this resolution for when inside the level editor, but I may be forced to stick with the small resolution at all times if the frame rate continues to drop this critically.

I think it's coming to that time when I should finally bid Clickteam farewell. -.-

Sooo, I opened up the same project the next day just to see that it now runs at full speed under HWA. I don't think I ever actually tried restarting MMF2 entirely, so I guess it was just messing up somehow. >_>

This topic can be ignored/closed I suppose.