A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Kirby: Cosmic Chaos

Minon

sooooo veeery laaatee and I'm sorry. It's even missing a good few things we've wanted to include, but I ended up with so fricken many WTF moments due to DarkBasic to the point it's not even funny(and thus there's a good few bugs too). I think I'm gonna restart the code with C++ and OpenGL, since so many things would work so much better in object oriented. If you want me to list off a rant on what's so annoying with it sometimes, I will.

in any case, thar's the booth, now with the download.

And even right now I'm in a rush with other stuff, so I'll have to post more later.

Actually, you might have to wait a tad bit if you're seeing this as soon as I've posted. It's still uploading as I type this.

So , basically, No Music.

> And the game runs SO incrediblly slow, I have to toss it on the lowest possible settings. - And even then, it runs at... I dunno, half speed at least.

*sighs* I dont understand how last years DEMO could run smooth on my PC and this one barely does.

DarkBASIC Pro's actually apparently a bit more advanced compared to the normal DarkBASIC, but yeah, I've started out with the classic DarkBASIC. It's been my first coding language, but DBPro's gotten a bit too unfriendly for me to tolerate it much anymore.

It's easy to get used to, but the bigger the program gets, I've noticed the more annoying things become with it.

I suppose BASIC languages are supposed to work like this in general, but functions can't return user defined types, while C++/Java can easily return objects. After learning about how Object-Oriented programming works, obviously a lot of coding ideas that would've worked perfectly in that doesn't over here.

It NEVER gives me the right line when there's an error. Dealing with this when you've got a total of over 20000 lines of code is not fun at all. (For example, an important part of what's in this very demo at the moment errors out at Line 0, which doesn't even exist).

It's transparency/texture controls are iffy and occasionally doesn't even texture the models that I load. Texturing also makes any Diffuse/Specular/Ambience/Emissive properties that were exported null.

The native text commands slows the game down (there's a DLL for avoiding that)

Native collision commands don't take rotations into account, and it's slow (there's a DLL for avoiding that too).

It also occasionally gives me a syntax error for no reason, then I add a new line or something along those lines, and it no longer takes it as an error.

Its editor makes Japanese characters all computerized symbols, so I can't even read it until in-game.

I can still manage to make something decent if the coding wouldn't get so

complex, but KCCh's concepts kinda calls for it, so yeah...

------------------------------------------

The music was supposed to be there, but it didn't quite play due to a little coding miss.

One of the other errors keep people from taking helpers with them, so I gotta go and fix it ASAP. The fix should be up by tomorrow morning.

Last year's demo used a method where it adjusts speeds based on the frame rate it currently runs on, but that often makes the rail recognition faulty, so I had to change it to being able to change the frame rate from 60 to 30 and 20. Still, I'm surprised it'd ever go slower than 20fps though. It doesn't even dip from 60 for me and most others that's played it so far.

Fixed the most glaring issues and reuploaded it (no, that does not include your performance problem Hue.)

If any of you were playing this earlier, simply overwriting the contents of the game foulder will update the problems without getting rid of your saves.