A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Parallax Help

Rawr

Alright, I was having problems earlier with a choppy parallax but one quick search here found me my answer. However now I've found some other problem...

PARAWTF.png

Image one is when everything is lined up nicely. Everything from that point and up looks great, but when I go too far down I start seeing the sky layer again (as if it divides). Is there a value I'm putting in wrong? I'll name off the layers and what values I gave them:

Sky Layer:

D- 1

E- 1

Waterfall Layer:

D- 1

E- 0.9

Water Layer 1:

D- 1

E- 0.9

Water Layer 2:

D- 1

E- 1

I was also wondering how I might be able to animate the waterfall layer, or if there was any way. I have the two frames for it and I wanted to test it out to see if it'd work, but I don't know how to animate the background boxes (if at all).

Thanks a lot for any help on this, I'm close to finishing up my tiles now. I just need to put all the different variations of them in there (ones without shading etc) and finish up drawing my scenery. Then its just badnik spriting/programming, doing the character sprites, programming in Shade, coming up with a boss idea and then designing the level + making the music for it. I've got a lot of things left to do, but clearing this up will at least help me almost complete my task of getting all my level graphics out of the way.

EDIT: Wait, this is vertical parallax? I'm not sure if this would cause it, but it could be related.

That happened to me once (with horizontal parallax):

The graphic you're using might be short/thin. It's a little hard to explain, but if all your "BG bars" are of the same length/width, one of them will "end up" before the others which are slower.

The parallax values affects the amount of pixels each part moves when scrolling. Therefore, the BG with a higher number will move "too much" before the other ones do. If you keep scrolling, the "slower" ones might end up too.

Try making that BG part bigger.

A crappy way to show how:

Before:

||||||||||||||||||

After:

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Also, what do D and E exactly stand for? (Horizontal/Vertical?)

As for animation, background system boxes can't be animated (equivalent of Quick Backdrop), but Active System Objects will allow that.

• Like 1

Ah, alright. Thanks! I think it finally started to work out here. I made the bottom layer longer and I also made it scroll a little too, otherwise it was doing the same thing as before.

D is the Horizontal, and E is the Vertical yes ^^.

Thanks for the advice with the animated thing too, I'll try that out now. Oh yeah, repped too =)

Edit: I can't seem to animate it with the Active System Object either. I could always just be making a mistake though I guess, I'm still learning where things are in MMF.

Good to see it works!

(seriously, it took me ages to figure out that damn issue with an old engine... But yeah, experimenting is fun)

Offtopic: Is it "D" and "E" because they're contiguous alterable values or something?